Interview prep

(13 Posts)
eltsihT Mon 09-Jun-14 17:27:52

How do you actually prepare for an interview? Or any interview tips?

I have one on Thursday and really need to do some prep but never know where to start, I have sort of Forrest Gumped my way into jobs in the past

cuggles Tue 10-Jun-14 13:01:09

what sector..primary, secondary..teaching? or non-teaching? what subject? Give us some more details and I for one, will come back later with some interview questions that might come up!

eltsihT Tue 10-Jun-14 15:55:45

It's secondary biology, no lesson. Thank you

eltsihT Tue 10-Jun-14 16:06:07

Should also say I am in Scotland so am prepared for curriculum design and questions on the new national exams.

cuggles Tue 10-Jun-14 16:16:52

ok I am not in scotland but am secondary and was recently involved in interviews....we ask the following sorts of areas? -
why this school? this job?
tell us about a lesson that went well/ not so well (looking for reflective practice)
tell us about time dealt with a challenging student/pupil?
strengths/weaknesses
five words to describe yourself..what would students use? colleagues? friends?
why is science important? or biology?
outside of classroom what is your passion?
etc.

try to think f one or two questions to ask them too.

eltsihT Tue 10-Jun-14 18:14:29

Thank you, it's good to have something to focus on.

Roseformeplease Tue 10-Jun-14 18:18:49

Am in Scotland:

Monitoring and Tracking
Specific questions on Added Value
how to introduce choice alongside breadth and depth
Classroom management
Questioning / ways of engaging pupils
Coping with different learning styles (I think this research has been somewhat discredited but the powers that be still bang on about it)

cuggles Tue 10-Jun-14 21:10:45

yes monitoring big..how do you check student progress during a lesson? etc. How might you use data to inform your planning and teaching? How might you engage a student who says science/biology is boring? Good luck!

Hobnobissupersweet Wed 11-Jun-14 15:11:39

No lesson shock
Do you really want to be at a school that is not interested in how you teach?

eltsihT Wed 11-Jun-14 18:07:36

Teaching a lesson as part of the interview is not something commonly done in Scotland most jobs want a head teachers report submitted alongside the application though.

Thanks all for your input, it's really helpful to have some things to focus on

Hobnobissupersweet Wed 11-Jun-14 22:27:09

Eye opener OP, how different things are. Good luck

eltsihT Mon 16-Jun-14 16:42:23

Well didn't get that job as I didn't answer the whole question, i.e. How do you increase pupil motivation and how would you deal with teaching more than one level in a class and I missed out the seconds half completely, but you live and learn and I have another interview on Monday so hopefully that ones a winner and I will be re reading over everyone posts again!

Beveridge Tue 17-Jun-14 20:02:33

I have never head of a HT report?Am also in Scotland. Latterly I have had to put down 2 referees that only get contacted if you are identified as the 'preferred candidate'. It is utterly ludicrous - so jobs are decided solely on how you 'perform' in a 30 minute interview with no other information. Presumably if you got a terrible reference they would retract the job offer but then, if you were that much of a nightmare your school would be glad to see the back of you and would reference accordingly.

It is a ridiculous system. I don't interview well but I really think if I had a lesson to do as part of the process it would let me show how well I can do the job. As it is, it's those who can 'talk the talk' that get the jobs.

I missed out on an interview today too OP so am feeling particularly negative tonight. Hope your next one is better. It could be worse, you could teach Humanities - no jobs and horrendous competition for each one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now