Could you tell me about your staff meetings please?

(10 Posts)

We have 3 x 15 minute briefings per week, and a weekly staff meeting lasting 90 minutes. The thing that gets me is these are taken up by 60% drivel. Constantly going over plans, diary dates for the next two months, discussing which backing papers look best, wonderful ideas that never materialise. I find it really frustrating.
When we work efficiently we get great work done, but I am beginning to resent the time we waste. So much could be passed on via the school email system.

I'm aware I sound a bit petulant - you really do have to be there to see the extent of it! Would anyone mind telling me how it works in their school?

Littlefish Wed 04-Jun-14 19:00:57

We have an extremely well organised yearly programme of staff meetings which are linked to the current priorities in our school improvement plan, plus any new SEN programmes or updates. We have a 5 minute opportunity to share any urgent notices or requests.

I find our staff meetings generally very informative and well planned. They happen weekly, start at 3.30 and finish by 4.45. This is the only meeting we have as a whole staff.

Once a term we have a whole school staff meeting involving all teams within the school eg. Office staff, TAs, cleaning staff, lunchtime supervisors & teachers.

Pinklilies24 Wed 04-Jun-14 19:02:42

We have a 20/25 minute briefing on a fri morning were we go over diary dates for the following week and any bits and bobs. Then we have a meeting after school on a Monday most weeks. Don't last too long, no more than an hour but as TA I can normally leave before teachers. At my previous school we just had a meeting 3.30 till 5 on a Monday. This did drag but I think that's more because it was Monday and you knew you had to stay! grin

noblegiraffe Wed 04-Jun-14 19:05:30

We have a staff briefing on Monday mornings for 15 mins. Year briefings twice a week, 15 mins. Staff meetings are an hour after school, once a term, same with department meetings.

Weekly whole staff meetings sounds like a waste of time. Ask to see a breakdown of directed time because you're probably going over it with these useless meetings.

Dragonlette Wed 04-Jun-14 19:08:40

Secondary school.
We have a briefing on Monday morning, approx 15-20mins. Then we have departments and year team meetings each half term. They never last too long, mostly finished by 4:30 or even just 20 mins at lunchtime.

Thank you, I do appreciate your comments.
We do have a programme of staff meetings - eg for the last ten weeks or so we've been working on the new curriculum and creating long term plans for the schools that's been useful.
noblegiraffe i think that might be worth doing. We are required in school between the hours of 8:45 and 3:45 with 12-1 off. I get in at 6:30 every morning (entirely my choice) but leave most evenings at four. A couple of people raise eyebrows at my leaving "early" and there's an emerging culture of going in at weekends to work, which I totally disagree with.

I'm a big believer in working efficiently in order to maintain a good work/life balance and I suppose I'm just concerned that people are getting into the crappy mindset of "if I'm here 13 hours a day it looks like I'm doing a good job."

littlegreengloworm Wed 04-Jun-14 19:10:42

Three meetings a week before school begins so they never run over 20 mins.

Ignore my horrific syntax and punctuation - eating and drinking!

Oakmaiden Wed 04-Jun-14 19:17:36

10 mins on a Friday morning to go through the next week's diary.

An hour after school on Monday, with a very specific purpose. About one week in 4 that is replaced by a training session which might run on til about 5. We often split into phase groups or subject oriented PLCs to work on certain things

toomuchicecream Wed 04-Jun-14 22:17:27

Friday lunchtime diary meeting. Used to sit and listen to the HT read out the diary dates she'd just printed off and given to us (which was why she was late to the meeting each week). I persuaded her it would be more efficient if the dates were emailed out the night before so we could read it in advance and come prepared with questions. Mostly that happens now and it's soooo much better. I got fed up with not having a chance to process the information, going to the HT afterwards with a clash of dates and being told it was too late - I should have raised it in the Friday meeting.

Monday evening staff meeting probably averages out at every other week and is normally over by 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now