ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Bad obs 3/4... Time to quit?

(10 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Wed 21-May-14 16:40:42

I have been thinking of leaving teaching for a while and after today's observation I am seriously questioning myself.
After being bullied out of my last job I am now doing 2 days supply . I was enjoying it but after today my confidence has been knocked again. The hod hardly had anything good to say about it. First thing he said was that he wasn't happy about it. The kids were bored, I did most of the talking etc, etc. I pressed for some constructive advice. I did try and get the kids to talk but they hardly said a thing all lesson.
To be fair we did not finish one piece of work last lesson so we went over it again this lesson and I felt it was maybe repetitive and so did the kids. I felt it was a clever exercise though and linked to the last lesson .
I'm fed up of slaving away to be ripped apart by everyone else. I just keep getting crap feedback. Time to quit?

superstarheartbreaker Wed 21-May-14 16:41:36

I didn't spend the whole lesson going over last lesson btw...we finished what we were doing as a starter activity as I hate leaving it unfinished.

NoEgowoman Wed 21-May-14 18:52:37

Leave. There are so many much nicer jobs out there. Lots asking for teaching training qualifications. Other jobs don't involve constant judging and criticism.

Geraldthegiraffe Wed 21-May-14 18:54:00

What sort of other jobs? I'm curious.

TheLateMrsLizCromwell Wed 21-May-14 19:36:33

All other jobs require some kind of appraisal and evaluation.

superstarheartbreaker Wed 21-May-14 20:56:11

Yes but surely I'm better off doing a job that I'm good at.

superstarheartbreaker Thu 22-May-14 06:50:12

Hi. Ive been reading the primay ta thread with interest. Think im going to convert. I cant cope with full time teaching so the pay cut wont be totally drastic.

I think if you are struggling to teach in the style that gets you graded good to outstanding then you might as well quit and be a TA, far less stressful and that is more important than anything else.

superstarheartbreaker Thu 22-May-14 21:35:06

I've had a few good/ outstanding obs. My interview lesson was good but I had a bad day. I want to be a ta anyway I think. My boss sent me a lovely email today saying that I shouldn't get too down about it and that he was very impressed with me in other ways and that I'm very proactive etc. Cheered me up a bit.

tethersend Fri 23-May-14 18:42:10

Quality of teaching shouldn't be judged on lesson obs alone, according to Ofsted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now