Any opinions on today's KS2 reading papers?

(10 Posts)

I thought the level 3-5 paper was, on the whole, pretty simple but I could have torn a few of my kids' heads off for dithering about and wasting time. Timing has definitely buggered up a couple of them. The White Fang text was quite challenging, I thought. Only one 3 mark question, though. I wonder if the thresholds will rise again....?

As for the L6 paper - I think I've seen it before! We trialled it last year with our old year sixes. Obviously we were bound by confidentially clauses (and I forgot it all anyway.) I don't know that we'll get as many sixes as we hopes, as I thought the "tone" of the Gerald Durrell text might have gone over a couple of their heads.

Hey ho though. Everyone seems pretty chipper and if the kids are happy, I'm happy. Interested to hear other opinons...

The view of anyone who saw the L3-5 paper today (I haven't had a chance yet) was that it was fairly straightforward. A concern about the one 3 mark question only and whether thresh holds would be higher this year. No feed back from L6.

isitpimmsoclockyet Mon 12-May-14 18:57:15

My lad sat both these today and said the first one was fine and the level 6 one not as hard as he was expecting......but hey, he's 11 so might have ballsed them both up for all I know!!! More concerned about the maths paper written for a calculator that they have to sit without one!

mrsmilesmatheson Mon 12-May-14 19:42:35

Mine found the 3-5 paper okay and they all finished too this year. smile

We were told at a maths subject leader meeting that the second maths papers have been re written and re printed. This came from a county maths advisor so I'd assumed it was true.

The possible threshold rise worries me too! Ach. I have never wished for telepathic skills quite like I did today. I was internally screaming "There are 35 questions, we're half way through and you're on QUESTION SIX!!!" to one of my poor kids!
Interested to read these bits of info about the maths paper. Surely it couldnt be a case of simply giving a calc paper as a paper A? It must have been re-written!
Irritatingly I have a couple of do significantly better on the calculator paper.

BTW did anyone notice the conflicting instructions in the L6 admin guide and the instruction booklet?

spudmasher Mon 12-May-14 21:05:52

Was it 50mins v 1 hour?
Also on our register, it said 2013 reading paper!!??
A bit worrying.

I thought White Fang was hard. Annoyed there was only one 3 mark question. Annoyed at all the 'find and copy a word or phrase'
If they raise the threshold, we may well be buggered. Timing was a big issue.
They loved the octopus one- the bit about a chopped off tentacle being able to find food and feed a non existent mouth!

TheEnchantedForest Mon 12-May-14 21:46:16

We enjoyed the first text and questions...the second was a great text but finding the answers across a few pages was very time consuming for my LA. Quite a few of mine didn't finish but tbh 35 questions plus reading three texts all in 60mins was quite a test of speed.
I am slightly worried now as we were hoping the thresholds would be lower!

liked the l6 paper though.

BookMum8 Mon 12-May-14 22:12:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-May-14 16:11:05

Hullo folks,

Just to let you know that as SATs can be taken up to five day after the usual day, some pupils are yet to take the test, so we'd ask you not to discuss specifics. We'll remove any posts that disclose information.

BookMum8 Wed 14-May-14 16:30:37

Sorry, l see that but why did you only delete my comment? At least two other posts / comments in this thread name the book involved in one of the tests and also give specifics about the timing. l only asked the title of the book as my son wants to read it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now