Job share?

(10 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Sun 11-May-14 09:23:38

Does anyone job share? If you do, how does it work for you? I'm seriously thinking this maybe the only way to teach, with my young family at home, and still stay sane!
If a post is advertised as full time ( as most are) is it feasible to ask if a job share will be considered? Also, how do you find 'your job sharer ' so many q's

saadia Sun 11-May-14 14:33:28

I'm in the same situation. Have just left previous job and am visiting local schools that have advertised full time positions and asking about the possibility of part-time. I am sceptical about how successful this strategy will be but I'm hoping they will remember me if something comes up or if someone else happens to want to job share. The alternative for me is to leave teaching or work as. TA. I might consider supply but when I signed up with a couple of agencies last year there were very few local jobs.

RinkyDinkyDoo Sun 11-May-14 21:02:25

I have job shared for the last 6 years, 5 with the same person in a primary school. We work very well together and delegate really well, so we really do share the workload.
We were moved for one year and had to "share" with other people who were full time, these were both senior management who quite frankly didn't share. We were both left doing the lions share of the work and there wasn't much continuity for the class.
People say, oh it must be great part time, well it is if your job share works, but to be honest you do almost as many hours out of school as a full timer, but you do have more time out of work to complete the tasks.

RinkyDinkyDoo Sun 11-May-14 21:03:29

Oh and we spend a lot of time on the phone/messaging each other to keep each other up to date and discussing work.

Nonie241419 Sun 11-May-14 22:23:19

I have job shared (with a 2 year break after having DC2) since 2005. Both my job share partners have been fantastic and we've worked very well together. My current job share partner (since 2008) and I spend ages on the phone each week. We split subjects according to our strengths and the children in our classes make good progress.
However, she's retiring in summer and the school have decided to use me as cover for the deputy instead. As such, it won't really be 'my' class anymore.
Both my jobs have been advertised as job shares, but I did discuss applying for full time jobs with a friend who was also looking for part time work, before both of us got positions elsewhere. There does seem to be a move away from part time teachers though (I have a thread further down about it).

Guilianna Mon 12-May-14 00:22:02

I am finding it a nightmare to be honest. I imagine with a professional partner who shares similar views and commitment it could be otherwise ...

RinkyDinkyDoo Mon 12-May-14 21:53:39

I totally agree with Guuilianna, it either works really well or can be extremely difficult.

MozartsHarpsichord Mon 12-May-14 22:07:58

The best gig is covering PPA in a school that you know well and where you will be assigned to regular classes.

I have tried job-sharing twice, holding the greater and lesser amount of contact time. Both times were a nightmare....only to into it if you are very comfortable with th working style of the other person.

The other way might be to identify a job-share partner and then apply for jobs together?

SMH77 Sun 14-Sep-14 16:29:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

I do what mozart suggested.
Ppa cover through the school on a set timetable.
You have to be flexible & let things wash over you a bit but generally it's good as you get to know so many of the children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now