did not get a job - but a person in 50s got it/ primary

(53 Posts)
shininglight1 Sat 26-Apr-14 18:19:13

applied for a job with some responsibilities. my application ticked all the boxes, I mean all they required. but did not do well at answering q. at the interview... did not get a job but the person in 50s. did the school want a person with more experience? just looked at my application and it fully covers what the school wanted...

Canus Sat 26-Apr-14 18:21:32

I would imagine the other person was just as qualified as you, if not more so.

Perhaps they knew how to use capital letters and everything.

NCFTTB Sat 26-Apr-14 18:21:40

Did they give you any feedback? If not I would give them a quick ring on Monday.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 26-Apr-14 18:21:52

I'm guessing the person who got the job DID do well at answering the questions.

MissMillament Sat 26-Apr-14 18:22:01

How is the age of the successful candidate relevant? You both went for the job and clearly only one person could get it. Did you ask for feedback? What did they say?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 26-Apr-14 18:22:31

If you think you didnt do a good job of answering interview questions then the other person probably did better. Get some books on interview technique and prepare for the next one by getting a friend to do a mock interview with you.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 26-Apr-14 18:24:05

You admit you performed poorly in the interview. You'll have to assume the successful candidate did well.

FunnyFoot Sat 26-Apr-14 18:25:14

You said you did NOT answer the questions well during the interview. I would imagine given that the other candidate got the job they DID answer the questions well.

OP that does not seem like a difficult problem to solve?

Plus I think the age is irrelevant.

TheLateMrsLizCromwell Sat 26-Apr-14 18:25:34

Delighted to hear a person in her 50s got it - from what I see, those are the people not being employed theses days...

rubyslippers Sat 26-Apr-14 18:26:04

An interview is very important in making a decision

More so that box ticking on an application form

If you didn't do well at the interview it wouldn't bode well for you

Agree with brushing up on interview skills and using this as a massive learning experience

Lottiedoubtie Sat 26-Apr-14 18:27:10

What point are you trying to make OP?

<and what everyone else said>

PastPerfect Sat 26-Apr-14 18:31:46

You answered the interview questions poorly. I would imagine the 50 year old didn't.

PurpleAlert Sat 26-Apr-14 18:32:05

Communication skills are pretty important for a teacher-particularly for a post with some responsibility.

Struggling to answer questions about a job you alledge to be qualified for on paper does not exactly instill confidence.

The age of the successful candidate is irrelevant.

Ask them for feedback- it might help for future job applications.

WhereTheWildlingsAre Sat 26-Apr-14 18:33:40

Experience is important in my opinion.

OwlCapone Sat 26-Apr-14 18:33:59

I agree with others - you botched the interview and were not the best candidate.

LynetteScavo Sat 26-Apr-14 18:34:32

You sound put put someone in their 50's was offered the job.

Is this because you are in your 60's and about to retire?
If not, I really don't get what your gripe is.

BridgeOfWhys Sat 26-Apr-14 18:35:31

Are you sure you are a teacher?

msrisotto Sat 26-Apr-14 18:35:45

This is the point of interviews. Often several candidates CVs cover all the requirements, that's how you get to the interview in the first place, they make their decision based on who is better on the day.

ggirl Sat 26-Apr-14 18:38:48

good lord ..in their 50's
that's shocking!

joanofarchitrave Sat 26-Apr-14 18:39:51

Applications get you an interview; interviews get you a job.

It can actually be very frustrating to shortlist someone who sounds ideal on paper but who performs really badly. Ask around for people who could help you with practice interviews.

phlebasconsidered Sat 26-Apr-14 18:50:00

I'm delighted that someone in their 50's got a job! In my experience more and more schools are becoming barren of anyone high up the payscale / over 30. It's like Logan's Run at my school, myself and ONE other member excepted.

We pay a heavy price for not employing experienced, older teachers. I would far rather my own children were taught by the older teacher at their school, who is experienced, has years of seeing fads come and go but knows what WORKS, and is sensible enough to be able to stand up to some of the madder SMT stuff, along with being old enough, and mother enough, usually, to see when a kid is sickening for something or burying something.Unfortunately, they've both got very snazzy young 'uns who embrace all fads, are up the greasy pole like whippets, and seem to be on a cycle of "outstanding" lessons followed by being burnt out and crap.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sat 26-Apr-14 18:55:11

They gave a 50+yr old woman a job instead of shoving her in a drawer and forgetting about her? Well I never.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Why are you fixated on this applicant's age? Presumably she was just the best person for the job. You can ask for feedback but it sounds like you already know where you went wrong. Do you want to talk about interview technique?

Best1sWest Sat 26-Apr-14 18:59:47

As a woman in her 50s I'm curious to know what your objection is?

madwomanbackintheattic Sat 26-Apr-14 19:03:49

Poor interview = no job. It matters not how many boxes you ticked.

The age of the successful candidate is absolutely not relevant at all. Presumably they did well at the interview and ticked just as many boxes.

Your latching onto age as a potential reason shows immaturity in the face of the available evidence, so perhaps this WAS a factor in your failure to get the job. Maturity doesn't have to equal age or experience level.

flowery Sat 26-Apr-14 19:05:50

Why is her age relevant OP? You sound as though you think she shouldn't have got the job because she is in her 50s!

Surely you weren't expecting to get it if you performed badly at interview? They wouldn't have been interviewing anyone who didn't meet the criteria on paper, so unless you had reason to think the other candidates performed even worse than you, surely it would be very surprising to be offered it after a bad interview?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now