ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Supply and childcare?

(8 Posts)
24again Mon 21-Apr-14 07:07:59

How does it work? I have a 6 and 4 year old and come September they'll both be in school. Supply sounds good as a way to ease myself back in but how does childcare work when I don't know in advance which days I might be working? I'd obviously need before and after school care as I couldn't get to their school in time to drop off / pick up. No family near by to help.

Goblinchild Mon 21-Apr-14 08:05:15

I'm not sure that it will work if you go for day to day, I often get called at 7.30 am to be told where I'm working that day. I also get booked in advance, but mostly it's less than 24 hours notice.
I'd try for short term contracts, maternity cover and illness, that sort of thing; where you know in advance where and for how long, but that limits your options hugely. I'm assuming you can't afford to book them in CC whether you have supply or not?

mycatoscar Mon 21-Apr-14 09:04:34

This is why I haven't gone on supply. I cant afford to book and pay for Childcare and then not get the work and get paid.

The key would be finding a really flexible childminder who has plenty of spaces or a before/after school club with plenty of spaces to spare. However, this is unlikely I would think.

If you can afford to pay for a couple of days anyway maybe that's the way to go and book extra as and when.

A supply agency might allow you to only work days booked in advance, worth asking although it might mean you get less work.

What about offering to supply at your children's school? We have a lovely mum who does this and she's just been employed until the end of the summer.

isitpimmsoclockyet Mon 21-Apr-14 17:17:48

I have this to consider too. I did some supply last September after nine years at home because my DH lost his job without warning. It was a pain because I couldn't always have the car as he needed it for interviews and we couldn't afford 'fixed' childcare. So when a job as a TA came up at the kids school I went for it.

However, as my DH is still out of work and our savings have long gone, I am thinking about going back to supply again this September. My plan is to book my youngest two into kids club for two days a week and tell the agency that I can work on these days. Then try to arrange free childcare for a third day when I can and pick up the extra day's supply on those days I know someone can have the kids. Too much fixed childcare just eats into what I'd earn. My eldest is off to secondary so he will see himself out in the morning and can go to my mum's after school on the days I supply. That's the plan at least, I hope it's workable!

Of course, if DH gets a job before September that would help massively!!!! If he's still unemployed then he will have to do the childcare and I can do more days supply. Downside is we'll need a second car, even a banger, just to enable me to supply which is money I could do without spending!!!

Goblinchild Mon 21-Apr-14 18:31:37

I have the freedoms of adult children, an OH who commutes by train and was teaching ft very recently. So for me, supply works very well, and some days I'm turning down work because I can't be in two places at once.
I'd go for PT teaching posts if I had to juggle childcare as well, 2 or 3 days a week.

gracegrape Mon 21-Apr-14 22:01:02

I spoke to an agency about this situation. The agency told me the best thing to do would be to specify that I could only work certain days, eg Monday and Tuesday and they would see if they could get me work for those days (which they didn't think would be a problem). I suppose you'd have to give it a few weeks to see how reliable the work is as otherwise you'd be paying out for childcare that you didn't need.

Appervine Tue 22-Apr-14 21:16:07

I did exactly as Gracegrape suggests and so far it's worked well. Once you've proven yourself you'll find that schools will ask for you back and you may find that you get put forward for regular work in a particular school doing either PPA cover or one to one teaching. My agency did say that Monday was their quietest day which was unfortunate as that's one if the days I could get childcare for. However in about three months I've only had one day with no work.

halamadrid Sat 26-Apr-14 10:55:01

I paid for the childcare before and after school full time to retain the place. I did this for four years as a single parent before I got a permanent post. I did this so that I could be available for every supply request and, although it was stressful not knowing when the money was coming in, I managed and earned approximately half of a full time wage over the year. I did accept every single job offered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now