Thinking of changing from mainstream to sn school

(3 Posts)
WellitsAllGoneNow Thu 17-Apr-14 18:19:15

I'm a secondary English teacher, currently not employed (SAHM) but interested in working with SN children away from mainstream. My teaching career has always been in bog standard mainstream schools.

Should I get some voluntary or supply experience in a SN setting?
Should I do some kind of training?
What is the job market like out there?

Matilda03 Fri 18-Apr-14 09:47:56

I have done this. I taught secondary English for 5 years before leaving to work in a sn school. I had done some voluntary work with sns (summer camp, Saturday club) and had done a course in special needs at my mainstream school however I was still relatively lacking experience compared to others going for the teaching jobs so got a job as an hlta in a sn school to gain some experience. While there I decided I wanted to completely leave teaching though so am retraining as a speech therapist. Good luck!

blueemerald Sat 19-Apr-14 00:28:50

I'm doing my NQT year (secondary English) in a special school. It's an SEBD school, were you thinking more schools for students with learning difficulties?

I would definitely get experience. I did 3 years as an LSA (2 in mainstream and 1 in a PMLD class in a special school) before my PGCE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now