Stressed

(16 Posts)
70hoursaweekandcounting Sat 12-Apr-14 20:05:35

I can't do it anymore - chest pains, 70 hours a week, crying daily, no home life, no life at all - feeling like we are trying to be caught out - still a 'good' teacher. But feel like I am just existing - No time for my own children - what do I do ?

NCFTTB Sat 12-Apr-14 20:08:07

Resign and do supply while you look for a job share or a lovely school with a more manageable workload and supportive ethos? I did exactly that nearly 3 years ago now. No job is worth crying every night over or more important than your health.

70hoursaweekandcounting Sat 12-Apr-14 20:11:32

Thanks - worried about money sad. Is supply regular ?

stargirl1701 Sat 12-Apr-14 20:16:53

Would you consider teaching in Scotland? It is very, very different.

70hoursaweekandcounting Sat 12-Apr-14 20:19:20

I would consider it but unfortunately too far away from me !!!!!! the pressure is unbearable - I have barely slept in the last week - I have already made up my mind to resign-

NCFTTB Sat 12-Apr-14 20:22:05

I found it fine. I only do infants and wouldn't really travel to schools more than 30 mins away so if you can do all ages and travel further you'll get even more work.

It's hard to get used to at first but then schools rebook you and you build up regular schools that way. I found word of mouth through teacher friends the best way to get supply work but I also joined a couple of agencies. People say thank you and ask for you to come back which boosts your confidence.

From now is when the jobs for Sept will start to come out in abundance though so I'd start updating your personal statement etc if I were you. It'll make you feel as though you are being pro-active about your situation at least.

Does anyone at work know you're this unhappy?

70hoursaweekandcounting Sat 12-Apr-14 20:25:19

Ohhhhh yes - but we have had so many staff leave its unbelievable - Have rang the union loads this year (never before in my 10 years of teaching) Really unreasonable demands - I can't wait to leave -

NCFTTB Sat 12-Apr-14 20:40:39

Was it prompted by a change of Head?

70hoursaweekandcounting Sat 12-Apr-14 21:17:16

How did you guess ?

NCFTTB Sat 12-Apr-14 21:25:53

I've been there! Definitely leave and go and work for someone who deserves your commitment, skill and work ethic. It will never get better.

70hoursaweekandcounting Sat 12-Apr-14 21:28:45

Thanks for the advice - Iknow I have together out and rationally I know I am worth more - can I do the next term sad. - Don't think I can sad

ToAvoidConversation Sat 12-Apr-14 21:31:46

Scotland isn't as bad but it's certainly not good. Seen so many colleagues in tears last term sad.

NCFTTB Sat 12-Apr-14 21:36:50

If you resign straight after Easter can you leave at half term?

70hoursaweekandcounting Sat 12-Apr-14 21:41:29

Have already resigned but cant leave until summer -

NCFTTB Sat 12-Apr-14 21:50:34

Independent school?

70hoursaweekandcounting Sat 12-Apr-14 21:54:01

Sent you a PM and no

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now