Should I go?

(14 Posts)
inthisdayandage Wed 09-Apr-14 21:22:43

Really not sure what to do. I joined teaching 4 years ago. I generally love the job but feel it takes up all my time. I have 2 children myself 8 and 4 and do feel I neglect them. Husband has had a promotion so we are not so desperate for money. Should I give up and if I do what can I do? I am not a stay at home type. Feel so torn as I like teaching but can't cope with all the extras and still do the best for my own kids.

bananananacoconuts Wed 09-Apr-14 21:26:49

I work as a Teaching Assistant and quite a few of my colleagues are qualified Teachers. We get half the pay but there are no late nights and lesson plans etc. we go in, we do our job, we go home to our families.

inkyfingers Wed 09-Apr-14 21:29:07

Can you reduce your hours?

Lottiedoubtie Wed 09-Apr-14 21:32:44

Part time?

Even better part time at an independent school?

Machakos Wed 09-Apr-14 21:35:04

I went down to 4 days last September, and it has made a huge difference. I really enjoy my 4 days in school again, and love having 1 day a week off.

inthisdayandage Wed 09-Apr-14 21:37:17

Not sure re hours. It would help. Not quite full time currently and just feel I don't do my job well enough but also don't do my home life well enough either. All the struggles are getting harder and pressures getting more? I did think about being at Ta but not sure if I would like to support a class rather than take the class. I AMA secondary teacher and get so much enjoyment from it but struggle to find the time to hear my own kids read and help with their projects. Now eh is more secure in work my job is less important so just not sure about what to do. Sorry to sound so wimpy but I am really finding it hard to decide what to do.

inthisdayandage Wed 09-Apr-14 21:38:18

Sorry eh is dh.

Goblinchild Wed 09-Apr-14 21:50:00

Look for a jobshare?

inkyfingers Thu 10-Apr-14 07:41:53

does being a SAHM feel like what you want to do, then? Sounds like you're thinking about it? Getting back could be difficult but it could be what you need for now.

DriftingOff Thu 10-Apr-14 08:05:36

I left last year for very similar reasons, and assumed I would do some supply, but I've enjoyed being a stay at home mum so much, that i haven't bothered. My youngest isn't at school yet though. I also like to be busy, and I've managed to redecorate the house from top to bottom (found time whenever youngest was at pre-school). And I'm now surprising myself by seriously considering setting up a business - that's what I'm working towards now. The idea never entered my head while I was teaching. Maybe you could pack in, and then see how you feel, and if you're missing it, do some supply (maybe offer to do supply for your current school?) and try to get some part-time work that way. As others have said, your other option is to go part-time - in your financial circumstances, you could go right down to 2 days a week, and just do enough to enjoy yourself. I know exactly how you feel. Imagine looking back on your life in 20 years time, do you think you'll regret not just staying at home with the kids for a while, or would it not bother you?

inthisdayandage Thu 10-Apr-14 14:00:13

Thanks for the comments. I think you are right drifting
off I need to take some time out to decide if I do want to teach and supply could work well if I have made a mistake. Until I am at home I won't know if it suits me and the family or not. Just need to take the plunge as have always been defined by a job so I do struggle with the idea of not working outside the home.

phlebasconsidered Fri 11-Apr-14 11:02:03

I had 6 years off with my two, who were borh 13 months apart. I returned via a TA post, then supply, then I took short term contracts. I am currently full time but come July, i'm going back to supply, as full-time is too much and I miss my kids! I'm in at 7, working till 5, see the kids briefly, then work till 10 at night. And at weekends. I've come to the conclusion that teaching isn't worth it anymore. As part-time posts are rare as hen's teeth, particularly with the rise of the Academy (where if you're not full-time, under 30 and whizzy bang, you don't stand a chance), supply is the best bet. No work to bring home and plenty of work at the mo, as more and more teachers leave the profession!

EvilTwins Fri 11-Apr-14 13:09:57

What's your subject?

TaDaaah Fri 18-Apr-14 23:46:47

I agree with the suggestions of supply teaching as and when you fancy it. You'll be using your skills, working out of the house and yet be doing it to suit yourself and your DCs. I do a little of this, tutor (a lot) and have trained further as a dyslexia assessor as a result of having been made redundant a year after I'd gone back part time. Experienced teachers are good ... but expensive. I couldn't be happier but was quite terrified at the time of the redundancy. I'd not want to go back even part-time now that I enjoy this little combo. I've a 6 and a 3 yr old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now