residential trips and bed wetting

(9 Posts)
ohnoppp Sun 30-Mar-14 22:04:59

Dd is in year 5 and due to go on a residential trip in July. She has been on an alarm for bedwetting and for the past two months has only had two wet nights. Should she even consider going on the trip

Littlefish Sun 30-Mar-14 22:15:40

Yes, she should consider going. Bedwetting is much more common than most people think. Arrange to go and have a private chat with her class teacher and discuss it with them.

changeforthebetter Sun 30-Mar-14 22:33:39

DD is Y4 and is doing a 2-night residential in the summer. We are using an alarm now, staff will be aware and DD will know what to do. She was worried before her last 1-night residential but it was fine. I doubt any primary teacher would look askance as it will be quite common. I know at least one teacher who has a child who bed-wets (KS2).

ohnoppp Sun 30-Mar-14 22:42:37

Thanks concerned it is more work for the staff and she could get teased

Littlefish Sun 30-Mar-14 22:50:00

Do you know what the sleeping arrangements are: Dormitory? 4 bed rooms? Is the alarm one which would be heard by everyone in the room with her? (sorry - I don't know how they work).

nobutreally Sun 30-Mar-14 22:55:11

ds is y5, bedwets regularly (alarm doesn't really work). He went on residential last year, and is going this year. And he's been on a few cub camps too. On each trip, it hasn't been an issue, and the staff have managed it well, and it certainly wasn't usual.

Has your dd tried desmopressin? Can be used for short term issues (eg to cover residentials) Worth asking the GP about (ds has it every night & it certainly helps him. (And less obvious/disruptive than alarms)

KettleBelle Sun 30-Mar-14 22:58:56

Talk to the teachers asap before they start sorting room allocations etc. If there is a child who may be "less discreet" than others they may plan rooms around that. I have taken children on camp who need alarms, pull ups, bed covers and some who have needed to shower first thing after night time incidents. We have always managed it sensitively and kept an eye for any potential teasing (so far not needed).
The other thing to bear in mind is how common this is - you may not be the only parent talking to the teacher about the same issue this trip, so don't worry.

Roshbegosh Sun 30-Mar-14 23:04:02

The dr prescribed a nasal spray that stopped it for the duration of a school trip. Lots of children have to have medicine etc before bed so it didn't draw any attention and the school trip was a great success. It is not something for long term use but is fine for a week. Go to your dr.

Wolfiefan Sun 30-Mar-14 23:08:27

Yes she should go. (We had similar issues and staff are discreet.)
Warn them. Provide spare night things.
Would she need the alarm, could she/would she take meds? Perhaps pull up type pants inside PJs?
How does she feel about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now