Dilemma about Wednesday

(5 Posts)
RyvitaThins Sun 23-Mar-14 14:02:23

Am a primary teacher. Not striking on Wednesday, but much of my KS is. Last time, 10 out of the 30 in my class didn't turn up for school, as their siblings were off. I believe their parents were informed that their absence was unauthorised.

I have planned to do slightly different from the norm activities on Wednesday, so that I don't get out-of-sync with the parallel class (who are not in). One of those things is to make our Mother's Day cards, as there is not really any other time in the week we can do them.
My dilemma: if children are absent (citing the strike, even though I am not striking), am I obliged to go to a great deal of extra effort in using my lunchtimes, or allow them to miss maths or literacy subsequently, to make sure they do their card?

Nocomet Sun 23-Mar-14 14:07:01

Personally I'd be totally open and say on Tuesday that's what you intend to do and then any DC who doesn't come in knows it's tough luck.

MrsKermittSmith Sun 23-Mar-14 14:33:31

I would send them home with a card kit for homework if they are not there on the day. Make sure they can do a card for anyone important to them not just mum.

2013go Sun 23-Mar-14 22:02:21

You could resolve the dilemma by joining colleagues on strike? Otherwise just do as other posters have suggested so no one misses out

clam Sun 23-Mar-14 22:30:56

What if she's not in the NUT?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now