EYFS curriculum - fit for purpose?

(4 Posts)
Lara2 Fri 07-Mar-14 17:28:46

I suppose this kind of links to my other thread about possible replacement of the EYFSP in Year R. After attending two lots of moderation in the last week it seems really clear that if only 60% of children are achieving expected in their ELG's ( and this was also the case on the pilot ), then it's not a suitable curriculum for the children it's intended for. My county is having a major minor panic over this and the message (loud and clear) is that we were obviously too harsh with our judgements last year (as it was a brand new curriculum), and we must really look carefully because 85% of children will can achieve expected in all their ELG's. hmm
Thoughts?

PenguinBear Fri 07-Mar-14 17:48:19

I think some of them are too hard, especially for the summer born children that have not been to nursery. Most of mien are on track but some of mine won't achieve all of them, mainly in writing and reading. It's taken us from September to now to get them writing their name correctly and that is with additional intervention 3 times a week and loads of fine motor stuff. Plus some of those same children are only now secure in phase 2 where as others are secure phase 3.

Sparkle9 Fri 07-Mar-14 20:33:41

I work in a high achieving school and many of the children didn't reach the ELGs last year. This does seem like madness to me. These children will almost all go on to get 2As and 3s in Y2 based on previous year groups.

fatcheeks1 Fri 07-Mar-14 20:39:55

Penguinbear your class sounds like mine :>) but we have not done as much in phase 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now