Progression Rate Through KS3 Maths

(7 Posts)
Cheg Thu 06-Mar-14 15:52:49

My daughter has remained Level 5 in Maths throughout Years 7, 8 and now 9. She was Level 5 also at the end of Year 6 although I know that there is a difference between primary and secondary levels.
Please can someone shed some light on how long it should typically take to progress through a level?
She is Level 7 in all other subjects.
Thanks!

noblegiraffe Thu 06-Mar-14 21:52:38

She should go up two levels in 3 years and be on a level 7. To have made no progress indicates a serious issue and you really need to query it with the school. She has gone from someone who would be expected to get a B or higher at GCSE (based on KS2 results) to one who would struggle to get a C (based on KS3 results).

Cheg Thu 06-Mar-14 23:19:59

Thanks :-). I really appreciate your advice. Can I ask how you know this please? I'm evidence gathering before tackling the school. I tried Google but couldn't come up with anything. I'm an FE teacher so I know it's not right, but I don't know the secondary systems.

Cheg Thu 06-Mar-14 23:57:26

Thanks :-). I really appreciate your advice. Can I ask how you know this please? I'm evidence gathering before tackling the school. I tried Google but couldn't come up with anything. I'm an FE teacher so I know it's not right, but I don't know the secondary systems.

Cheg Thu 06-Mar-14 23:57:28

noblegiraffe Fri 07-Mar-14 01:01:24

The school will be familiar with the requirement for "2 sublevels of progress per year" which translates to 2 levels of progress in 3 years, meaning she should go from a level 5 to a level 7 at KS3. The DfE don't measure progress from KS2 to 3 but there are plenty of other websites which will suggest this is the expected progress from Ks2 to KS3.

The expected level of progress from KS2 to GCSE is 3 levels (GCSE is only 2 years so I suppose they round down the sublevels, you'd expect 1 and a bit levels progress from KS3). This means a student who gets a level 5 at KS2 should get a B at GCSE. A B is roughly equivalent to a level 8. To predict a B from KS3 would require at least a good level 6 at KS3, so she's definitely not on track to meet government progress expectations.
www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/archive/schools_10/s11.shtml

(I'm a secondary maths teacher)

Cheg Fri 07-Mar-14 09:15:15

Thanks so much for your advice, that's really helpful.

(I have no idea why my post is repeated...!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now