A little rant with a bit of advice chucked in!

(7 Posts)
satine Tue 04-Mar-14 19:46:41

I work in a school office, and please forgive me for ranting a little here....
Saying to children "I know you don't feel 100% but go to school and then if you get worse/don't feel better, go to the office and they will phone me and I'll come to get you".
Believe me, the child will report to the office about 9.15 am and then at 30 minute intervals until we phone you to come and collect your son and daughter.
By all means, tell the teacher or the office that you have dosed up your little one to the eyeballs with Calpol and that when it wears off, you can collect but don't let your child hear!!

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 04-Mar-14 19:50:35

I tell my children and the teacher that if things get bad I'm available. They've never yet come home on days I've done this. They're yr5 and yr3.

satine Tue 04-Mar-14 19:52:36

Wow, Misfor, your children must love school! Or else the office staff or school nurse is very good!

RandomMess Tue 04-Mar-14 19:52:52

Same with mine, the days they've said they haven't wanted to go to school I've never been phoned and they've been fine at the end of the day too.

Mind you I don't doubt that some parents send their dc when they really shouldn't.

MrsYoungSalvoMontalbano Wed 05-Mar-14 18:34:30

Same with mine, and I trust them to be sensible they always have so far and only once has oneactually needed to come home. I shall continue to do so as it the rational and kind thing to do.

mumandboys123 Wed 05-Mar-14 19:28:55

I send mine in when they are complaining of not feeling 100% and have no obvious symptoms (normal colour, no temperature, not been sick, and I'm unaware of anything going around) and say that I will collect if they get any worse. With one horribly embarressing exception (poor boy threw up everywhere!), they have always been fine. I often feel ropey in the mornings (am just not a morning person and find it hard to get going) but am fine as I get on with the day - I wouldn't have a job if I stayed home everytime I didn't feel 100% so I'm not sure it's a good lesson to be teaching children that they can stay home for the smallest of reasons.

melonribena Thu 06-Mar-14 22:03:10

They won't have been sent home but the poor teacher /office will have had a loooooong day of fobbing said child off while they complain of v minor illness in the hope they will be sent home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now