Applying for jobs whilst pregnant

(10 Posts)
AmelieRose Fri 28-Feb-14 17:52:48

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and whilst I'm not actively looking for new jobs, two excellent opportunities have been advertised this week in schools I would love to work in at the next level of promotion.

I know legally I can apply for them and that pregnancy can't be used as a reason to not appoint, but in practical terms I'm not sure if it's worth applying or not. If I wasn't pregnant I would apply in a flash...

Thoughts?

redspottydress Sat 01-Mar-14 08:50:11

Don't underestimate how hard it is to go back after maternity leave, managing childcare, poorly children etc. Going back into a new job means people don't know you etc etc. I made this mistake although I applied after I had my baby.

CharlesRyder Sat 01-Mar-14 08:59:32

I agree. You can't really appreciate it now but your life and your priorities will be completely different after having the baby.

I would definitely stick with your current job and then look for promotion after you have the baby, have childcare sorted, see if your child sleeps (mine still isn't great at 3.5), whether you want another one quickly etc..

tethersend Sat 01-Mar-14 09:05:46

I disagree, I'd apply anyway.

Having a baby can really impact on your career progression, and what pp have said is true, you will feel differently after the baby (assuming it's your first). However, it is good for your career to apply for the jobs even just to gain interview practice.

CharlesRyder Sat 01-Mar-14 09:15:01

Tethers presumably the OP's baby is due June ish.

How many people could cope with starting a new, full time, promoted job with a 3mo baby?? Should she need a csec she'll barely be back to driving!

tethersend Sat 01-Mar-14 09:27:09

She would still be entitled to full maternity leave- just not full maternity pay.

So, if they felt she was the right candidate for the post, the school would need to wait until the end of her maternity leave, she wouldn't have to start in September.

tethersend Sat 01-Mar-14 09:29:14

Actually, depending on whether the school is LEA run or not, she may even still be entitled to full maternity pay, depending on the length of continuous service, as this can be transferred between LEAs.

AmelieRose Sat 01-Mar-14 14:44:55

Thanks for the replies. Am in Scotland so conditions are slightly different - theoretically would not start til after mat leave if I was appointed. Baby is due in June so I'm going on mat leave at the end of May. Our school year runs Aug-June.

What's clouding my judgement is that I'm really unhappy in my current job and have been looking for months, even before I was pregnant...

tethersend Sat 01-Mar-14 14:58:31

Apply. Make the decision if and when they offer you the job- don't discount it yet!

kritur Sun 02-Mar-14 08:33:24

I know someone who was appointed to a Head of Science job at 36 weeks pregnant, it was an internal promotion though.

Apply and see...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now