Going PT: reduced hours or job share?

(12 Posts)
Euphemia Thu 27-Feb-14 20:35:41

I want to apply to go PT. I don't understand the difference between reducing my hours and job sharing - I need to specify which I want, so what should I do?!

PansOnFire Thu 27-Feb-14 22:50:18

Not entirely sure but I'd request reducing your hours with job sharing as the solution for the school. You might already be aware of the procedure for requesting a change in contract but I was advised that the school need to see that the situation would work for them. If you have someone who you could job share with (already employed by them) then I'd request reduced hours and explain how the job share would be a successful solution to staffing your 'missing' hours. I think there is more of a chance of your request being accepted if the school can see that they wouldn't be at a disadvantge. Good luck!

2kidsintow Thu 27-Feb-14 22:51:51

You want to reduce your hours.
Work puts a job share in place to enable you to do that, yet still cover your class for the full week.

Machakos Sun 02-Mar-14 14:46:55

I went down to 4 days from f/t in September (best decision ever!!). Now I worry that SLT will make me go back to f/t at some point in the future. Can they do this?

Euphemia Sun 02-Mar-14 15:55:30

My problem is I am in a teeny school and the other class teachers are already PT, so I may have to move school. I don't want to move somewhere rubbish. sad

2kidsintow Sun 02-Mar-14 17:26:38

Why would the fact that the other teachers are PT mean that you need to move. In fact it gives you a strong position not to be turned down as there is a precedent for part timers.

Euphemia Sun 02-Mar-14 18:48:32

It would be difficult to get someone to cover the days I'm not there.

2kidsintow Sun 02-Mar-14 20:50:32

It's worth requesting it (Theogriff on TES website forum has a good standard letter to use) and see what happens.

With lots of schools shedding PPA staff in favour of HLTAs etc and lots of newly qualified teachers desperate for some experience, you might be surprised at how easily the role filled.

3 different people were interested in my share when I wanted to work 3 and a half days. The head thought it would be difficult to find someone for 1 and a half days, but there were people there who wanted it.

Euphemia Sun 02-Mar-14 21:23:44

I'm in Scotland, so none of this applies: PPA staff, HTLAs, NQTs looking for jobs!

2kidsintow Sun 02-Mar-14 22:41:58

Oh dear. Sorry for ineffective 'advice'. Good luck.

Euphemia Mon 03-Mar-14 19:30:42

Sorry - didn't mean to sound snippy. smile

2kidsintow Mon 03-Mar-14 21:37:26

You didn't (the way I read it, anyway). smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now