References before shortlisting

(10 Posts)
aroomofherown Sat 01-Mar-14 14:29:59

I really want this job so I sincerely hope so, beamme!! I had my hopes up and then dashed when I thought it was too good to be true. The apps closed yesterday so I am just hoping and praying for good news next week.

beamme Sat 01-Mar-14 09:55:30

You may be on the reserve list aroomofherown I've found that schools here will ask for references for the candidates shortlisted and then 2 reserves in case one of the shortlisted declines the interview.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Wed 26-Feb-14 22:13:21

We ask for references for those that are shortlisted. We require these before the interview. I was told that schools had to have the reference before they could make an offer, which surprised me, as previous sectors have always offered jobs subject to references.

aroomofherown Wed 26-Feb-14 20:12:57

Fourcornered we've always asked for references before interview, but not before shortlisting, if you see what I mean.

I would have let her know if I had thought I would be shortlisted, or even later this week but still before the applications closed. However, they sent the reference request about half an hour after I received the acknowledgement of my application, which is why it took us all by surprise.

I'm just curious how common this practice is of seeking references on application.

LadybirdsEverywhere Wed 26-Feb-14 19:40:02

You should always let your head know in advance. Check out Theogriff's job seekers advice on the TES forums.

fourcorneredcircle Wed 26-Feb-14 16:04:45

We ask for references before interview and all of my positions in two LEAs have too - I would always advise letting an employer know the moment you applied for a job in any sector precisely to avoid this situation. I'm sorry for the awkwardness you must feel. Try to continue as if nothing's changed as best you can. Speak to the HT the same way you always would, be confident. :D Hard, I know.

aroomofherown Wed 26-Feb-14 07:15:56

Thanks for your responses. It has really made it awkward at work for me as I hadn't told the Head yet, for obvious reasons.

Hey ho. At least she knows I want out I guess!

AuditAngel Tue 25-Feb-14 22:03:30

We would never ask for references prior to first interview. I don't think we have ever asked for references before making an offer. We always offer "subject to references"

partystress Tue 25-Feb-14 21:57:13

No experience, but from what I hear it is not uncommon. Massively inefficient and I have never heard of it in any field other than teaching. One of the many ways in which teachers are made to feel vulnerable and dependent on staying on the right side of HTs...

aroomofherown Tue 25-Feb-14 20:25:53

Has anyone ever experienced having referees contacted and then not short listed?

I have applied for a post, but the referees were contacted immediately and days before the closing date for the job. I cant help but think it is too good to be true and wonder if sometimes the references can be used to devise the shortlist, particularly as I've not been called to interview yet (it is still before the closing date which I hope is the reason why!).

Does anyone have any experience of this? Does it happen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now