INSET time for report writing

(33 Posts)
PatsysDouble Sun 23-Feb-14 20:32:07

Hi
I'm looking into ways of lightening the load a little - easier said than done!
I was wondering if schools still allocate INSET time for report writing? Not something that is done in my school (secondary) but I know used to be done in friends primary schools.
Thanks!

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Sun 23-Feb-14 20:33:29

Yes, one of our INSETs (primary) is for report writing - I find it very useful.

Kezzybear Sun 23-Feb-14 20:33:41

We are given a report writing day, either just befor or after may half term.

Kezzybear Sun 23-Feb-14 20:33:57

Primary

stillenacht Sun 23-Feb-14 22:04:58

Wow never heard of this in secondary!

petalpower Sun 23-Feb-14 22:20:20

No chance (primary). All our INSET time is taken up with much less useful things.

stillenacht Sun 23-Feb-14 22:23:28

Yeah same here petalpower. Every one is about teaching your grandmother to suck eggs. Same old thing over and over.... Always boiling down to "this is Ofsted's focus"(for the next 5 minutes(.

That's what the Easter holiday is for ... apparently... :-(

GW297 Sun 23-Feb-14 22:41:36

1 of the 4 schools I have worked at had a report writing at home inset day.

rollonthesummer Sun 23-Feb-14 22:41:59

No chance (primary). All our INSET time is taken up with much less useful things.

Snap

PatsysDouble Sun 23-Feb-14 23:07:52

Thanks! Never heard of it in secondary either, and imagine it would get dismissed right away but you never know.

2 class sets done this week.

Anyone else?

(Or other ingenious ideas for lightening the load that happen in your school? Am struggling to come with ideas to improve the work-life balance)

rollonthesummer Sun 23-Feb-14 23:24:58

Being part time is the only way that I get any work-life balance.

I really hate what this job has become and it really annoys me that when I started teaching, things were so different, yet I had time to make resources, plan fab lessons. Now-all my time is spent doing utterly pointless things that benefit nobody except my SMT.

sad

MerrilyWatkins Mon 24-Feb-14 09:17:00

I have my report writing day today (Primary). Should get on with it really.

fourcorneredcircle Mon 24-Feb-14 14:44:57

How would it work in secondary though? As the reports come out at different times of year?

MrsYoungSalvoMontalbano Mon 24-Feb-14 15:21:03

It makes sense that all work required should be able to be completed in normal working hours. Which is why it still surprises me that teachers spend time bleating about it on MN and moaning in the staff-room instead of standing up like real professionals and saying - 'these are our our working hours - this is what we can do in them'
Think about the hours you are contracted for, work out what can be done in them and do only that. If everyone did - job done. But people prefer to be martyrs and moan.

noblegiraffe Mon 24-Feb-14 17:39:57

Teachers contracts specify that they need to work any extra hours required to discharge their professional duties, so that's not actually something teachers can do, mrsyoung

MrsYoungSalvoMontalbano Mon 24-Feb-14 18:20:59

in which case, no point in sitting in the staffroom moaning about it...

noblegiraffe Mon 24-Feb-14 18:53:40

Isn't that what staffrooms are for?

Euphemia Mon 24-Feb-14 19:02:18

The thing is, MrsYoung, we do what needs to be done. If we work to rule, the children suffer. None of us wants to see that, so we do what needs to be done, no matter how many hours' work are required.

chocolateshoes Mon 24-Feb-14 19:14:20

At ds primary they get a day to write reports. No such luck at my secondary.

DoctorDonnaNoble Mon 24-Feb-14 19:18:30

Yup, never had that at secondary. Whilst a lot of INSET we've had has been rubbish I don't think the point of the 'days' was to write reports. It's meant to be in service training.
I hate report writing. If I've had an issue or been impressed with a student their parents/guardians know already. I hate reports! Grrrrrrrr.

PatsysDouble Mon 24-Feb-14 20:49:44

Thanks again everyone.
I know INSET is meant for training, just looking for ways to make like easier and it's something I had heard off happening elsewhere.

Although reports come in waves through the year, one day's worth of time could be allocated to reports - we already do twilights in lieu of a couple of days at the end of the summer term, so one of those could be nominally for report writing.

Rollonthesummer - sadly I am already part-time. They keep asking me when I would like to go to full time, to which the answer is never. I already work every evening!

Mrs Young - if only it were that simple!! If we stood up and said enough is enough after working a set number of hours, capability procedures would soon be put in place and we'd be out!

Having just had a week of 'holiday' I personally could have said that that is holiday, and as such I won't be working. However when would 2 classes of reports be written, controlled assessment be marked and lessons planned for next term? Not sure if you are a teacher or not, but you must be able to see the problem.

There is no money in schools so staff have been made redundant. As a result our free periods have been drained to the absolute minimum, so while we used to have a reasonably generous allowance, we now have the statuatory 10% - i.e. 6 mins per lesson taught - 6 mins to plan , prepare and assess during the school day.

And yes, I know we are here moaning on MN - but only for 5 mins before the books come out and 3 hours of work commences. Teachers are at the end of their tethers and any support is invaluable.

However, being part of a working party into work-life-balance is a step in the right direction. Although I'm seriously lacking in ideas as most have been dismissed by SLT.

Something radical needs to happen really. But you can't stand up against targets and paperwork alone. Needs to come from the top down.

PatsysDouble Mon 24-Feb-14 20:52:25

Apologies for terrible SPAG. Must proof read before hitting post!

Euphemia Mon 24-Feb-14 21:00:10

I'm a primary teacher in Scotland and I've never heard of Inservice days being used for report writing.

stillenacht Mon 24-Feb-14 21:25:48

Hear hear Patsysdouble

Capability is the stick to beat us to the ground. The job is impossible- I know some teachers who regularly do 18-20 hour days and still don't get it finished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now