Ofsted to not grade lessons

(29 Posts)
Snugglesrock Thu 20-Feb-14 20:33:32

Just seen this through a link on Facebook. It was posted today.

I'm a bit shock as our academy in sm and it's all about the lesson gradings. Non stop!!!!!

Off to try to post link shock

Snugglesrock Thu 20-Feb-14 20:34:43

http://headguruteacher.com/2014/02/20/meeting-ofsted/

Hope that's it

HumphreyCobbler Thu 20-Feb-14 20:35:58
Snugglesrock Thu 20-Feb-14 20:46:13

Ah thanks Humphrey. Need to figure out how to do that!!!

partystress Thu 20-Feb-14 22:20:50

Thank you OP. Not holding my breath that the days of grading are truly over, but the link led me on a trail through some fabulous, thought-provoking blogs that I hadn't come across before despite spending most of my waking hours obsessively googling work stuff.

Snugglesrock Fri 21-Feb-14 08:15:30

Party - post them grin off to wonder if I can get away with another night of 'educational googling' rather than marking lol

rollonthesummer Fri 21-Feb-14 23:37:29

If only we could go back to the odd observation where it was a useful, non-threatening exercise. Your pay/job/status within the school now hangs on these hour-long observations carried out by people who haven't been in the classroom for years and whatever grading they deem you hangs round your neck until your next one. Your results seem to be of less significance than your ability to refer back to the success criteria every five minutes.

Will this really make any difference?

rollonthesummer Fri 21-Feb-14 23:43:00

observations

This is interesting.

Snugglesrock Sat 22-Feb-14 07:59:16

Yes. It's awful isn't it confused

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 08:05:23

interesting

as an aside head guru teacher? REALLY?

OddBoots Sat 22-Feb-14 08:08:22

In a document from ofsted yesterday they seem to claim that individual lessons haven't been graded since 2009 just that some inspectors haven't realised this. confused

Snugglesrock Sat 22-Feb-14 08:29:35

So that's a 4 for the inspectors then gringringrin

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 08:29:48

apparently so - colleague told me this

Nojustalurker Sat 22-Feb-14 08:32:01

Every teacher I know has been graded by lesson. Do you think it will have any impact on 'learning walks' and the like in your school?

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 08:34:13

well if it has been unnecessary since 2009 and we have all had it done...
How will appraisals work?

larrygrylls Sat 22-Feb-14 08:35:05

As a middle aged second career pgce student, the concept of grading lessons seems v strange. Surely it depends how they fit together within an overall planned sow. For example a 30 minute video may be a great intro to a work unit but it is obviously not a great lesson taken in isolation.

No idea what the right answer is but I will never teach to the observation (except in interviews smile). If it comes to that, I will have a v short teaching career.

rollonthesummer Sat 22-Feb-14 10:03:40

dea what the right answer is but I will never teach to the observation (except in interviews ). If it comes to that, I will have a v short teaching career.

Sorry to say it, but if you don't teach to the observation, you will also have a very short teaching career; you'll be put on RI and be watched continually until you improve!

Snugglesrock Sat 22-Feb-14 10:49:37

This is the prob isn't it. It is now so deep in our minds that we accept it and wonder how we will cope without it. But I do remember a time when I was such a better teacher n we weren't monitored like this. My results were just as good, arguably at times better. Cos I'm a professional and we should be trusted to do what we were trained to do confused

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 11:05:01

larry - yeah right, we all said that

rollonthesummer Sat 22-Feb-14 14:36:23

You'd do an 'observation lesson' for an interview (ie to get a job) but not for an observation lesson (to keep your job!). I don't really see the difference?!

Avienus Sat 22-Feb-14 18:05:53

Larry, the criterion in a lesson observation is very much about progress over time - your data on your class is the major determiner of how your lesson is judged.

Basically, a jazz-hands lesson won't cut the mustard without your evidence in books of targets being set and met; of assessment grades increasing with each test; of pupil premium students meeting their target;, of Controlled Assessment grades being analysed and weighed against Working At grades....

Avienus Sat 22-Feb-14 18:12:58

Also - why wouldn't you showcase your best possible practice when you're being observed? Just as you would in any other job.

I absolutely have spent whole lesson watching DVDs (totally justifiably in terms of the SOW) but would I show this to people who are coming in to judge my classes progress? Of course not.

I want my employers (and Ofsted) to see that I am top of my game. That's not about pretending that every single lesson I teach is like this, it's about showing that creative, inspiring teaching is part of what I do. Call it professional pride if you like, but I simply wouldn't just 'teach whatever I would have taught anyway' (if that was a 30 minute media clip) for an observation lesson.

SaltaKatten Sat 22-Feb-14 18:24:58

I had a lesson observation in maths which I thought was absolutely fine, the external inspector (not ofsted, just a head from another school) decided that no it wasn't and so the rest of my teaching had to be rubbish too in spite of me having hard evidence that the class had made twice the expected progress since September. All the evidence in books and the data was completely disregarded.

Avienus Sat 22-Feb-14 19:44:06

God, so sorry to hear that, SaltaKatten. Were you able to argue, and point out the evidence of progress from your data?

rollonthesummer Sat 22-Feb-14 23:12:48

Larry, the criterion in a lesson observation is very much about progress over time - your data on your class is the major determiner of how your lesson is judged.

I wish my SMT thought like yours. Our lesson observations are totally about jazz hands and have nothing to do with results sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now