So - how much work have you got to do over half term?

(88 Posts)
petalpower Sun 16-Feb-14 19:45:58

Are you going to manage to get a break or is there just too much to catch up on?

KinkyDorito Wed 19-Feb-14 21:41:02

Bugger! grin

You do sound lucky though sassy.

I'm FT English, teaching and writing every single lesson for Year 13, 12, 11, 10, 9 and 8 as I go, with the accompanying marking, and then SOW for the whole dept too and all the admin extras. I am a very experienced teacher with plenty of expertise, but I still need to plan and write the content of my lessons based on what my new boss wants me to teach. I'm trying to adapt things from what I already have.

Knackering.

I would like to say it will ease off when it's embedded, but we all know that National Curriculum changes are looming once again.

Philoslothy Wed 19-Feb-14 21:48:15

Kinky why are you doing all that yourself? What are other members of your department doing?

ravenAK Wed 19-Feb-14 21:57:15

Ah, I teach History as a second (well, third, really) subject & it does lend itself fairly readily to team-planned Schemes of Learning.

It's not so effective in a skills based subject like English - I find that you need to be more responsive on the whole.

I plan more for some classes than others, but I couldn't effectively teach my middle ability y11 in the current run up to their second Mock, for example, unless every lesson was planned in response to the one before.

LurkingCinners Thu 20-Feb-14 09:13:46

Right, impressed with what some of you have already done I will start on my day of marking.
Some of it has already been marked but no level given, so I hope I get through it all today.

I teach MFL p/t and have to say, my department is very organised, there are sow, there were exams ready to be handed out at the end of units, there are mark schemes attached, etc.
This hasn't always been the case at previous schools.
My hod is at school today so if I get stuck with anything I can go in and see him for advice.
Have to get going, the prospect of only a few hours planning tomorrow and a free week end will hopefully carry me through today.

Dh has taken 2 days off btw, seems a shame to be locking myself away in the study as we have so little time together, but our LO would not let me do any work otherwise.

Go for it Cinners see if you can get the planning started aswell!

TheGruffalo2 Thu 20-Feb-14 09:38:48

KS1 leader, SLT, SENCo, Literacy and Assessment coordinator and temporarily history coordinator (she's on maternity leave).

shock
I see. Blimey that is a lot of jobs. Hope you get to have a rest too.

LurkingCinners Thu 20-Feb-14 19:08:20

I'm knackered but not finished yet, sadly.
Hope everyone else is on target wink

petalpower Fri 21-Feb-14 08:02:23

I'm going into school today to get the things done in my classroom that I was too tired to do at the end of last week. I wish it was the sort of job where you could say "Yes, I've finished, there's no more I can do!". It just seems never ending sometimes.

sassytheFIRST Fri 21-Feb-14 08:09:27

I'm just about to get going on what I hope to be the final session - 2 hours or so before meeting a friend later. Did a good 3 hours planning yesterday meaning that my next two week are pretty much sorted. I'm going to pick up a lot of marking next week so needed to get ahead.

today I want to....

Plan a series of A level lessons

Read and comment on (not mark) several 2,500 word Pieces of A level coursework, ready to return to pupils electronically giving them tweaking time before final deadline on Monday.

Tidy my work bag, files etc. I don't have my own classroom and they always end up in a tip as I hurtle from one room to the next!

petalpower Fri 21-Feb-14 08:13:35

Oh yes, I need to tidy through my school bag and files too. It was just getting heavier and heavier so I suspect it need a good sort out!

Littlefish Fri 21-Feb-14 08:46:13

Aaaaaargh! I haven't done any of it! I'm starting today. I will, I will, I will.

KinkyDorito Fri 21-Feb-14 09:46:51

<sobs and rocks>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now