Any ideas for poems that appeal to the 5 senses and...

(8 Posts)
lirael Sat 15-Feb-14 11:11:30

...would be suitable for use with a Sixth form group in a special school, whose ability ranges from P4 - 2A? I have an interview for a deputy headship next week and they've created this group specifically for the teaching task (the students with PMLD are usually taught in a separate group). I know it's because they want to see differentiation so I'm planning to deliver a lesson about poetic imagery using lots of real-life sensory input. The one idea I've had so far for a poem is Eliot's 'Preludes' which I think could work, but wondered if anyone had any ideas for other poems? Everything I've found so far is aimed at much younger children and it has to be age-appropriate.
TIA

Euphemia Sat 15-Feb-14 20:30:30

What about something by Norman MacCaig? I'm not familiar with the ability ranges you mention, but he wrote a lot about sounds, nature, feel, smell, etc.

Ideas here.

Duffy - In Mrs Tilscher's Class. I always start by getting students to colour code the senses. Also has metaphors/similes/personification so great for revising terms.

AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Sun 16-Feb-14 19:51:07

John Clare - sonnet. Lovely celebration of summer.

Heaney's death of a naturalist of blackberry picking.

Newsofaarrived Sun 16-Feb-14 19:56:51

Duffy Valentine for a topical poem - we had this as our reading in Church for our wedding! Dh was a chef at the time so is very appropriate smile

Valentine

This one is good. Have used it with L3 pupils before. Eliot unlikely to work at that level tbh. here

I absolutely love, 'In Mrs Tilscher's Class.' Gave it to high level Yr 11s last week as an example of an unseen poetry task, and it was met with complete bemusement. They completely missed the point of it.

lirael Fri 21-Feb-14 13:09:40

Thanks everyone. Have gone with the Eliot, for good or ill. Have sensory trays with pots that smell of steak and smoke, dead leaves, rainmaker toys, water sprayers and newspapers to flap for wind. You wouldn't believe how many varieties of beef crisps I've had to sniff this week... :D Have bookmarked all these ideas though, in case I get the job and can actually teach a proper series of lessons, rather than one that has to be crammed into 30 minutes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now