TA to take a class 2 days a week?

(12 Posts)
girliefriend Thu 23-Jan-14 20:49:54

My friend has been offered a job which will be 3 days a week teaching yr 3 and the head has said the TA will take the class the other 2 days!

I was quite shock at the proposal, is this even allowed??

EducatingNora Thu 23-Jan-14 20:55:35

Bloody hell. I'd go absolutely ape-shit as a parent if I found my child was being taught for 2 days a week by a TA.

Who will be responsible for all the planning, your friend or the TA? Who will be held ultimately responsible if the class makes less than expected rates of progress? Who will do parents evenings?

rollonthesummer Thu 23-Jan-14 22:57:57

That's a jobshare I would not want to be part of!

It's unacceptable and short-changing the children. I can't see how they can justify that. Unless it's a free school or an academy...

girliefriend Fri 24-Jan-14 20:34:56

Thanks for replying - that was exactly my reaction!!

My friend feels like she has been put in a really difficult situation now as she wants the job but doesn't want to start conflict with the head about this scenario!!

MrsYoungSalvoMontalbano Sat 25-Jan-14 07:25:45

She should not take it. I have seen a similar situation in my own school where they were desperate to get someone but she could only work part-time and they did not want to pay the extra to find a qualified person for the other two days. She got lumbered with all the planning etc and responsibility for progress, all contact with parents (and there was lots - difficult class) and the TA had all the fun stuff. There are may threads on here about people who get suckered into a situation that becomes a nightmare. If you can foresee obvious drawbacks from the start, far better no to take a job that grab it, suffer and then have to stick it out as a minimum to the end of the year.

winklewoman Sat 25-Jan-14 19:58:09

If the TA is 'Higher Grade' or is an 'Instructor' it is allowed, but not an LSA. Not necessarily desirable, it entirely depends on the calibre of the TA and many are excellent. The teacher would be expected to plan. She will, after all be paid getting on for twice as much as the TA.

hootloop Sat 25-Jan-14 20:01:47

I don't know, my Aunt is a TA, she is also a qualified teacher and would be quite capable of teaching two days a week (but wouldn't do so because she doesn't want the stress).
Maybe their TA has QTS.

rollonthesummer Sat 25-Jan-14 20:39:08

But if the TA has QTS, she should be paid as a teacher because she will be working as one! Otherwise it's horrific exploitation!

Panzee Sat 25-Jan-14 20:43:45

She would be responsible for the class as the teacher, despite not being there for 40% of the time. When it all goes wrong she would get the blame. TAs get paid bog all and part of the reason is the absence of responsibility. If she can afford to say no I hope she does.

winklewoman Sat 25-Jan-14 20:47:11

If a person with QTS applies for a post as a TA, there is no earthly reason for her to be paid as a teacher. If a doctor for some reason takes on a job as a nurse, they would be paid as such.

rollonthesummer Sat 25-Jan-14 21:24:06

I agree, Winklewoman. It is therefore irrelevant if the other half of this jobshare is a teacher. She is being employed and paid as an LSA and shouldn't be exploited in this situation.

winklewoman Sat 25-Jan-14 21:48:58

I understand what you are getting at, Rollon, but as the teacher will be responsible for the planning etc and the TA will not, I don't really think it is exploitation.
We don't actually know what the qualifications of the TA in question are, it is Hootloop's aunt who has QTS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now