What's the 'ideal' hour long lesson format in your school?

(22 Posts)
DrNick Wed 22-Jan-14 21:47:43

yup and if kids arent visual learners -- ie cant read very well or text turns them off-- you are screwed.

its back to the 90s really

WingsontheWind Wed 22-Jan-14 19:55:06

Apparently the not teaching to the whole class thing should improve my work life balance- so I am to spend hours photocopying (worksheets!) before the lesson for them to complete during the lesson ( while I drink tea i suppose as I shouldn't be teaching- let them do the learning) and then in the evening in my time, I mark said worksheets(!) and also plan and do more photocopies for the next day...

DrNick Tue 21-Jan-14 20:23:19

no and some have read that very thing and continue to tell you how to teach.

DrNick Tue 21-Jan-14 20:22:58

secondary Humanities

no, they are OUT OUT OUT, its hot off the press

NewNameforNewTerm Tue 21-Jan-14 20:15:11

"Inspectors must not advocate a particular method of teaching or show preference towards a specific lesson structure. As such, inspectors will not look for a preferred methodology but must record aspects of teaching that are effective and identify ways in which teaching and learning can be improved."
Quotation from OFSTED - January 2014 School Inspection Handbook. Not sure all HT's have got this message yet!

rollonthesummer Mon 20-Jan-14 21:39:29

NO interrupting work with mini plenaries

Really? Mini plenaries are an obsession with our school! What subject do you teach, Dr Nick?

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 21:28:48

oh and NO interrupting work with mini plenaries, so the minute they came in they are OUT

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 21:28:13

agree

talk and chalk is OUT OUT OUT
the best lessons are when the teacher does nada ( it seems)

sigh

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 21:27:34

oh god ours ( sec) is all LEAVE them to learn and dont teach at all

this is now equating back to endless photocopied sheets

SheerWill Mon 20-Jan-14 19:19:44

The TEEP cycle is divided into 6 parts that can be all in one lesson or spread across a couple o lessons.
1. Prepare for Learning (5 minutes) Literacy/maths based starter using mini whiteboards etc
2. Agree Learning Outcomes (5mins) (must/should/could) or we use (mild/hot/spicy) which they quite like.
3. Present new information - hook to interest students in the new topic and an idea of why we're learning it. (8 mins)
4. Construct Meaning - Watch a video, questioning, talk partners. (10 mins).
5. Apply to demonstrate understanding - students to complete indendent activities, showing red/amber/green cards to indicate level of confidence. Peer assessment/self assessment against LO. (20 mins)
6. Review/reflect (5mins) students to think about what they might need to do next.

I know this is quite KS2+ but some aspects of it might be useful. The TEEP learning cycle can be found online.

How ridiculous! Why are some Heads afraid of the undeniable fact that, shock, teachers have to impart knowledge!? What's the word again...? Oh yes - TEACH!

Note the latest Ofsted criteria for Outstanding says teachers must "Impart knowledge authoritatively."

WingsontheWind Mon 20-Jan-14 18:48:17

As in no whole class input.

WingsontheWind Mon 20-Jan-14 18:47:56

We've been told to move away from whole class teaching. NONE AT ALL. Apparently they should come in and get on with their activities. With no explanation, as explaining tasks causes low level disruption.

confused

rollonthesummer Mon 20-Jan-14 11:00:34

AFL, mini plenaries, talk partners, success criteria, WILF/WALT, colour coded marking-any other buzz words that I've forgotten...!?

rollonthesummer Sun 19-Jan-14 22:16:34

I haven't heard of TEEP, could you possibly explain what it is?

SheerWill Sun 19-Jan-14 21:53:09

We use TEEP. I know this is mostly used in Secondary, but it does cut the lesson up into quite good sections that focuses on the students learning more than the teaching - something they're massively into at the moment.

Ooh didn't realise you had the younger ones - yes, it would be pretty much impossible in that case!
In all honesty, I think as long as the results are good and accurate, teaching style should on the whole be up to the teacher.

Also, (sorry, I will piss off after this one) if I'm being observed and need to show outstanding progress, I go through the LO and identify any unfamiliar words/concepts. Then at the end I re visit the LO and say "who thinks they can now do this?" Or similar. Then I pray they put their bloody hands up!

rollonthesummer Sun 19-Jan-14 16:53:42

I teach 5 and 6 year olds-it's impossible to teach an objective and explain a task in that amount of time!?

You're not deluding yourself either - our non-teaching Head tried to get us all to ensure we never talk for more than the children's age, ie in year six, eleven minutes. Good in theory, but in practice not always possible. I do break it up with mini board, group, paired tasks, etc. in fact sometimes I do whole lessons on mini boards. But I am lucky to have a motivated, hard working class this year.

Last time I was observed I got an outstanding and got particularly praised for my pace...BUT if they hadn't been in the room I would have kept the kids listening for another five minutes to ensure they truly "got it."

The ideal format in our school is talk little, get them doing ASAP...but what works best for my class is I teach for as long as needed; they go off and do, extending themselves as much as possible; we pause and go over bits if there are misconceptions, then we re-group and push ourselves a bit further. Works well.

rollonthesummer Sun 19-Jan-14 16:20:14

During our Oftsed, teachers were criticised for keeping children on the carpet too long and also for sending them off to their tables too quickly so they didn't know what they were doing-grrr!

Have you been told an ideal format or not? We've been told that we shouldn't look on it as a tick box exercise but then it's horrible being criticised when you don't get it right!

I think for an observed lesson, maybe probably 15/20 minutes on the carpet with input and paired activities with whiteboards-sending off more able early if appropriate, then 20/25 minutes at their tables with the wonderful mini-plenaries to keep things on track, then 10/15 minutes whole class plenary-with circle activity or paired work.

Or am I deluding myself!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now