Any one else being asked to teach pupil premium kids almost exclusively and possibly to the detriment of other students who also have needs.

(8 Posts)
SheerWill Sun 19-Jan-14 14:56:46

We're expecting Ofsted soon and have been told Pupil Premium Students, Pupil Premium Students, Pupil Premium Students, Pupil Premium Students, Pupil Premium Students, Pupil Premium Students!

We're expected to question them first during teaching, mark their books first! I understand that these students have extra funding to support them, but I feel sorry for other SEN students who may need more support, but are being over looked because they don't come with extra funding or PP status.

Hopefully this madness will end post-ofsted.

hels71 Mon 20-Jan-14 22:08:08

In my school all pupil premium children get at least two 1:1 or small group sessions each week, regardless of their ability. Meanwhile those with SEN not getting PP have to make do with whatever time class teachers/over stretched TAs can make for extra support.......

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 22:08:42

no

we are busy drawing boxes in books for them to write self assessments

PiperChapman Mon 20-Jan-14 22:15:44

I'm not a teacher, but don't get me started on this.

I'm a writer by trade and had a dip in my income a couple of years ago. I claimed income support for a short while, secured a couple of contracts and that was that.

Last week I received a letter. My 15 year old is apparently a pupil premium pupil and would I like to attend a meeting to focus on how I can motivate her best/ be a better parent / support her etc etc. I was extremely puzzled. She is predicted 12 As at GCSE, has a 100% attendance record, is a student mentor for younger children etc etc. I own my home, we are not 'poor.'

I rang the school and was amazed to learn that because of a period of time several years ago where i claimed IS, she is registered as PP and this is the case for 6 years! I was also amazed to hear that out of the 240 families that they've sent these letters to, my DD is the only one with impeccable grade predictions

I think it's completely outrageous all round really.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Tue 21-Jan-14 21:16:26

I am the 'pupil premium teacher' in our school. Part time, small group work. However, I refuse to let a child with difficulties flounder because they're not, or haven't been, receiving Free School Meals, so I insist on taking any pupil with needs that fit in with my groups. These children, hopefully, are benefitting from the PP agenda although not its target.

I haven't heard any particular pressure on class teachers though. Maybe it's all thought to be down to me... Hmmmmm.

DrNick Tue 21-Jan-14 22:00:42

i wouldnt be offended - I would be delighted

DrNick Tue 21-Jan-14 22:02:14

so much pressure on class teachers to show direct impact of the funding

Think you might be missing trick

fasparent Mon 27-Jan-14 23:59:51

I am a parent of New premium plus , do not mind if funds are used too greater advantage too all SEN pupils , in training , Buying in service's, or equipment etc. If it helps improve overall standard's it's win,win, win for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now