Thinking of applying for job in FE - would like some advice please

(2 Posts)
ImperialBlether Tue 21-Jan-14 20:25:01

I work in FE and I, along with everyone I know, is desperately trying to get out.

I'm really sorry I can't advise you further than that. College are really dreadful places at the moment.

FWIW we all work approximately 7.30-8.00 am until 6.00 pm and we all take work home. We have to work an evening every couple of weeks when there are interview evenings/open evenings/taster sessions/parents' evenings, etc. Sometimes that will be twice in a week.

princessrose Sun 19-Jan-14 13:20:29

Hello everyone - this is my first post (scared). smile I would really welcome some guidance from anyone who works in FE as I've seen a job I really like the look of. It's a partial teaching role and I'm concerned that all the problems I'm having at the moment (workload, spending all spare time marking/planning/massive scrutiny) etc will be the same but with loads of stuff added in too! It's for a Programme Manager for the subject that I teach. The main part of the job role is: "To contribute to education, teaching and training programmes, undertaking teaching and associated administrative duties." I read that as as helping design and deliver the course content, recruiting new students, getting high success rates etc.
Although I've only been teaching for four years (previous career in subject area that the job relates too) I am broken (have two DCs including The Incredible Non-Sleeping Toddler) and this job combines my previous career and also some teaching too. It's less money, still full time but with about 9 weeks' leave but I am hoping no evening/weekend working ALL THE TIME as things are now.
Does anyone have this type of post at their college? I am definitely going to go for it, but am concerned about an 'out of the frying pan, into the fire' type scenario! Thanks for reading xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now