If you are covering someone else's class ...

(22 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 13-Jan-14 19:04:20

Please leave the bloody place tidy!

I worked for three hours after the pupils had left before Christmas, tidying up and arranging my new group tables, etc.

I was off last week and my class was covered by four different teachers. I went in today to a total mess! Tables all over the place, paper and assorted rubbish on the sides, stuff missing - horrendous!

It's going to take me as long to sort out as I spent on it just before Christmas!

Raging! angry

EvilTwins Mon 13-Jan-14 19:08:46

Yep. Sometimes it's the worst bit of being ill. I teach drama and people hate doing cover for me. Sometimes I feel like writing "do whatever - if I leave practical work you won't want to do it, and if I leave written work, THEY won't want to do it"

angry angry

Rowlers Mon 13-Jan-14 19:18:25

I teach part-time and am in lots of different classrooms.
I always have to tidy up piles of random stuff before I can put anything down on the desk - pupil's work (abandoned), worksheets, coffee cups, board rubbers, sweet wrappers, "lost" PE kits, pencil cases, coats, scarves etc etc
I ALWAYS leave the desk tidy.
It does make me a little bit cross.

MiaowTheCat Tue 14-Jan-14 12:30:19

When I did supply generally I left the place tidier than I found it - when I was full-time the cleaners adored me (nothing at all to do with me leaving biscuits for them during the half term deep clean sessions...) because I left my room tidy rather than colleagues who'd do cutting and sticking and leave the floor covered with bits of paper!

Had a supply cover for me once when I was doing contracts, and I admit - I had the class from hell at the time but they'd had all the key "personalities" removed into other classes for the time so just had a class mildly from the fiery depths rather than the blazing inferno I usually had... came back to an insipid note about how they'd been delightful to teach (don't lie - I know they weren't) and the place was beyond disgraceful - books rammed behind radiators and just shredded in half, glue sticks impaled on door handles and all sorts. Nothing at ALL marked for an entire fortnight. I was fucking livid!

GW297 Tue 14-Jan-14 21:40:41

When I was a supply teacher I got rebooked mainly because I left the classroom so tidy and organised! There is no excuse! When I had a class, I could never face ringing in sick for fear of what state the classroom might be in on my return!

Hobnobissupersweet Tue 14-Jan-14 21:52:40

drives me mad, tidy up before the end of the lesson ffs. Teach in 11 different rooms over the fortnight and always can tell who i have been following even i don't see them angry
part of good classroom management imo

ninah Tue 14-Jan-14 22:05:58

Jobshare here. I share your pain!

MaureenMLove Tue 14-Jan-14 22:16:19

This is one of the reasons my school employs Cover Supervisors! They may not have the qualifications of a teacher, but they know all the students and all the teachers, so respect the classrooms that they go into! Sometimes the teachers even comment on how much neater their classrooms are, when they get back!

Some supply teachers are just there for the money and don't give a stuff if world war 3 is going on around them. It's not their school and they don't have to go back if they chose not to!

Euphemia Tue 14-Jan-14 22:19:01

My class was covered by three teachers from my school, and a supply teacher. (Only qualified teachers are allowed to be in sole charge of a class here in Scotland.) The first three you would think would keep their own school tidy!

I've learned my lesson not to do overtime! Or ever be off at all!

Kayakinggirl86 Tue 14-Jan-14 22:36:18

When working in secondary I was in charge of all the trips, which meant I had to go on most of them. There was one supply teacher I loved and would always try to book as she left my room spotless (so much cleaner than before), the kids had work done in their books, and helpful notes where left.

Lara2 Tue 14-Jan-14 23:12:01

My PPA covers for the past two years have left my room looking like a bloody nuclear explosion had taken place - every bloody week!!!! When I ask them to make sure the children tidy up properly, they look round the room and say "But they did!" Seriously???? I hate it so much -I'm training my Reception children to keep it all where it should be at the end of the session and funnily enough they get it!!!! And they're 4 and 5 years old!

Lara2 Tue 14-Jan-14 23:15:06

Can I also add that if you're covering for more than a week NOT to change everything round, change routines etc - especially if you work in a unit. Units work as a whole, well, unit - not separate classes that happen to share a space, so please remember that too!

storynanny Wed 15-Jan-14 14:10:16

GW297, me too, I'm rebooked because of keeping children and mess in order! There is no excuse really for leaving classroom in a mess, supply teachers get a good daily rate and I for one feel a responsibilty to leave the room as I would hope to find it.
Why don't you let the office know which supply teachers you prefer?

Euphemia Wed 15-Jan-14 17:00:37

Supply teachers here are like hen's teeth. The Scottish Government changed the pay terms such that you get paid at the bottom of the pay scale for the first five days of any job, which after tax works out at about £45 per day. A lot of supply teachers said "Sod that!", and subsequently we can rarely get anyone.

rollonthesummer Fri 17-Jan-14 21:01:50

Supply teachers here are like hen's teeth. The Scottish Government changed the pay terms such that you get paid at the bottom of the pay scale for the first five days of any job, which after tax works out at about £45 per day. A lot of supply teachers said "Sod that!", and subsequently we can rarely get anyone

That's awful! Is that a new thing? What happens if you can't get a supply; do you have cover supervisors or split the classes?

Euphemia Fri 17-Jan-14 22:48:05

It started a couple of years ago. If we can't get supply, the HT covers classes. Only qualified teachers are allowed to be in sole charge of a class, so no such thing as cover supervisors, whatever they are! smile

I've known classes be split in other schools, but not my current one as all of the classes are currently at full capacity.

When I was off last week my class had the HT, two other PT class teachers doing supply on what would normally be their non-work days, and a supply teacher for two days!

rollonthesummer Sat 18-Jan-14 09:10:41

Wow to a teaching head! We have a head and four deputies in my primary-none cover classes due to absence or illness. They always split classes so we have 30+6 extra in tiny classrooms-it is rubbish sad

lostinteaching47 Sat 18-Jan-14 11:19:58

I agree, as a supply teacher I always leave the class tidy and work marked.

As an aside, I am currently working at a school and will be covering a reception class from next week for 6 weeks, possibly longer and the teaching environment is a mess.I don't know where to start . . . literally.I am looking forward to having a class, I know them, they are a lively bunch , but I'm not looking forward to the massive tidy up.I don't feel it is fair but I am expected to get it up to scratch, i.e like other 2 classes asap and with Monday being Inset til 4.30, Tues being Phase til 4.30, Weds is the earliest I can talk to phase leader about paperwork, Thurs I am commited to an after school club til 4.30, that leaves Fri at the earliest to do anything after school.
My hours on supply are 8.30-4.30 I obviously don't get in that late but I do try and go at 4.30 but it's hard.I have a family (11&14) and chose supply for this reason.I expected to have some late afternoons depending on what I had to mark but with daily work not being available I took this job but my role has changed since I have been in the position.I will not be getting AWR as the school basically wants a cheaper teacher so my daily rate will continue with no entitlement to paid holidays or sick pay.This means I will be losing over a £100 before tax each month.Nothing appears up to date, the teacher has had a long term injury and she has struggled in/on and now she has left earlier than her operation was due.She has also been put on an Action Plan which I think has accelerated her going off sick.I'm beginning to feel stressed as up until now I think I was making a good impact/impression but I don't know how I can tidy this class/get areas in place/prepare resources for said curriculum areas as well as teach and assess the children.I know they are not up to date but as the school is not doing well I also know SMT will be down fairly quickly to observe and assess the learning environment.HELP !!!!What do I do 1st??? I was thinking of getting in earlier and trying to do something then.I almost want to cry thinking about the mess I am inheriting.

lostinteaching47 Sat 18-Jan-14 11:38:07

I do realise many of you work long, long hours.I was teaching reception last year and regularly did 7.50-5.15, would have been longer but had to juggle CM's hrs around that.That is why I left. Ironically, I am now doing as much if not more now with no holiday pay.I was looking forward to leaving at Easter but I think she will almost certainly have a phased return.I really like the children, most of the people I am working with but the staff morale is low with LA scrutinising us and an Ofsted imminent(we are borderline SM, I think)

Beveridge Sat 18-Jan-14 11:48:19

I'm in Scotland and we have been told we may be asked to.cover classes during our ringfenced non-contact time due to lack of supply teachers but were reminded we are not legally obliged to do so! Guess what my answer will be? I only have 2 real non-contacts a week as it is...

Wondering how long it will be this term once all the viruses have kicked in before smt are supervising loads of classes in the main hall. Our retired teachers who quite rightly don't get out of bed for less than Point 6 used to keep the show very much on the road - knew the kids, knew the coursework, fearsome crowd control.

Euphemia Sat 18-Jan-14 14:58:32

I'm in a really small school and we often end up foregoing our non-contact time owing to absence. I had none last week because the teacher who covers it was off sick and the HT was at a meeting elsewhere, but the week before other teachers lost their time out because I was off - we all pull together to make the school operate. No choice!

GW297 Sat 18-Jan-14 19:31:19

lostinteaching47 - she may never come back if she has health issues and she's wasn't coping beforehand. If you do a sterling job, it'll only serve to highlight further the issues with the parents and staff when she returns. The parents won't want you to leave! If she fears she may be close to being put on competency she may not be able to face it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now