How do you promote your pupils health?

(6 Posts)
Clickityclack Mon 23-Dec-13 20:50:19

Im doing an assignment for my college course and I need to talk about how schools, particularly teachers, promote the health of their pupils.

So if you wouldn't mind sharing your ideas I'd very much appreciate it!

So far I've got
- lessons (not much info on how though)
-healthy school lunches
-fruit and milk provided for under 6s
- display boards

Is there anything else?

Can't believe I'm doing assignment work on Christmas eve eve

CanYouKeepASecret2 Mon 23-Dec-13 21:32:50

It is part of the QCA science curriculum
Year 2
This covers food groups, balanced diets, hydration, exercise & sleep, hygiene, safe approaches to medications.
Year 3
Year 4
Year 5
PSHE Key Stage 1
We cover self-esteem, taking care of our bodies, privacy, understanding risks, etc.
Key Stage 2
PE - staying active, exploring different types of sports to find one they enjoy and may want to continue with out of school.

New 2014 Curriculum, see science and Cookery and Nutrition section in Design Technology

We encourage healthy lunchboxes and send out leaflets, run tasting sessions for ideas, training for children, Five a day scheme.
We run Walk to School and Cycle / Scoot to school activities.

Clickityclack Mon 23-Dec-13 21:48:46

Oh thank you that's really helpful!

EvilTwins Tue 24-Dec-13 15:05:22

I nag them (secondary) about stuff like not drinking energy drinks, making sure they get enough sleep, eating fruit and veg etc. They hate it.

ILoveRacnoss Tue 24-Dec-13 20:30:19

To the comprehensive list of curriculum links above, I'd add that we seize topical opportunities too. When we had a nasty stomach bug circulating, my class were watching handwashing videos and making posters to laminate and display in the toilet areas, regardless of where we were in the termly planning.

Clickityclack Mon 27-Jan-14 15:06:21

Hi everyone,
Just thought I'd let you all know that my assignment went really well and the information and resources you provided were a fantastic help!
thankyou thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now