Help with finding a children's song with a story for PGCE interview

(120 Posts)
josh751 Thu 28-Nov-13 19:36:48

I have an interview for a PGCE in primary and as part of it I need to tell the lecturers a story as if they're children using props, it must be geared towards 4-8 and I want to get them to participate. I plan on using a guitar as my prop and telling them a story through song. so does anyone have any ideas?

much appreciated
josh

oddslippers Thu 28-Nov-13 19:44:43

Are you sure you shouldn't be doing a story sack type activity? Handas suprise would work well for this you could have the exotic fruits as your props which would be a good sensory experience

josh751 Thu 28-Nov-13 19:47:22

thanks for your reply No I've been in contact with the course director and she says teaching a story through song would help you stand out best

Catmint Thu 28-Nov-13 19:47:28

Do you mean you are going to play along to a story or sing a children's song which is a story? And isn't a guitar an instrument rather than a prop?

Anyway, how about The Ugly Duckling? It was a cbeebies ballet last year and there is the song. ( I treasure a version of Frank from Eastenders singing it that I have on cassette).

Theas18 Thu 28-Nov-13 19:57:35

My dear old dad used to sing this to his classes

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/song-midis/Chivalrous_Shark.htm

Great vocabulary in a nonsense tale

Theas18 Thu 28-Nov-13 20:04:53

Or any of the many folk songs that tell of a historical event

Eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Casey_Jones

notnowImreading Thu 28-Nov-13 20:05:49

Froggy went a-courtin' was my favourite at that age, or Casey Jones.

notnowImreading Thu 28-Nov-13 20:06:29

Ooh, cross post. First time I've done that.

TunipTheUnconquerable Thu 28-Nov-13 20:07:08

Puff the Magic Dragon

lougle Thu 28-Nov-13 20:07:12

I really don't think they will consider a guitar a 'prop'. A prop is something that helps the children understand the story.

Shallishanti Thu 28-Nov-13 20:07:45

we're going on a bear hunt

mamaduckbone Thu 28-Nov-13 20:13:50

I agree that props probably means objects to hello children understand the story, but there's no reason why song couldn't be part of it. What about a Julia donaldson story? We have a song cd of hers so I'm sure sheet music must be available. The Smartest Giant in Town springs to mind...you could strip at the same time (joke!!)

mamaduckbone Thu 28-Nov-13 20:14:44

help children obviously...

ctrlaltdel Thu 28-Nov-13 20:16:59

Look up barefoot books on YouTube and there's some story-songs on there- walking through the jungle is a good one.

josh751 Thu 28-Nov-13 20:19:16

Thanks for all your suggestions so far, I really like that song Froggy went a courtin' and I understand what you are saying about the guitar not being a top but as I said I got chatting to the course director and when I suggested to her about bringing the guitar and singing a song she loved it and that's why I want to use it

ctrlaltdel Thu 28-Nov-13 20:20:06

Or the duck song

PeterParkerSays Thu 28-Nov-13 20:20:19

The journey home from Grandpa's is another Barefoot book. It has a CD with it, which is a folk type song but also has props - a white helicopter, a purple train etc and you could have those as cardboard cut outs in addition to the guitar.

ctrlaltdel Thu 28-Nov-13 20:23:36

Or nick cope here

storynanny Thu 28-Nov-13 22:01:27

I second barefoot books, they are brilliant.

LeBearPolar Thu 28-Nov-13 22:07:41

This is not remotely helpful - but this was the first thing that popped into my head

Phoebe Buffay: the singing lady who tells the truth

Sorry. I'll get my coat. blush

josh751 Thu 28-Nov-13 22:28:56

I'm having a look through the barefoot boots now! thanks again for everything! I originally was going to pick She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes but a few people told me its not a story.. but I don't understand how it isn't... its a story about a girl coming round a mountain and it describes how she is/what she is wear/and what we'll do when she gets there... anyone want to shed some light on this?

Littlefish Thu 28-Nov-13 22:36:24

There isn't a proper story structure in the version I'm thinking of. It's a repetitive song, with variations in each verse.

A story should have an introduction, a problem (not the right word, but I can't think what it is!) and a resolution.

paperlantern Thu 28-Nov-13 22:40:29

a story has a beginning a middle and an end. there are characters who go through character development ie to get to the moral of the story often in kids' stories.

so for example ugly duckling. starts an ugly duckling and grows into a swan learning appearances aren't everything and not to listen to people who tease you

she'll be coming round the mountain? is an event, she just keeps coming. no beginning no middle no end no character development (no moral to the story)

paperlantern Thu 28-Nov-13 22:42:26

seriously as much as the guitar will be fun I wonder if it fits the brief. unless you can find a story song about a wandering minstrel.....

josh751 Thu 28-Nov-13 22:56:13

Using music (guitar) is a method that helps release endorphins, helping them relax and settle better, it develops the creative part of their brain and it allows them to develop their long term memory.. thats why using music/songs to teach children is a great method and thats exactly why the course director has suggested that I use it for my interview

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now