Observations and difficult class

(22 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Thu 21-Nov-13 20:10:15

I have a difficult ks4 class. Big group, bad dynamics, naughty kids, and lots of aen. Have been teaching nearly 20 years, and can't remember a ks4 class as difficult as this.

Due to be observed next week, possibly with this class. Feel like giving up now. They are just a nightmare, and totally unlike any class I've had before. Normally my ks4 classes are nice. I also have some very high fliers in the class, and some who really struggle.

Any ideas

notnowImreading Thu 21-Nov-13 20:13:39

Bribery?

notnowImreading Thu 21-Nov-13 20:14:14

What are you planning on teaching them?

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Thu 21-Nov-13 20:14:21

What subject do you teach orange? I feel your pain - mine sounds similar :-(

Tinlegs Thu 21-Nov-13 20:15:28

Make it competitive. Want subject? If English, happy to help.

Orangeanddemons Thu 21-Nov-13 20:17:34

I can't really disclose it, ad it may out me. It's creative though.

I just don't get badly behaved classes. This has really stunned me. I can't help them properly as I am policing the naughty ones all the time. I have done seating plans in every combination short of the ceiling

notnowImreading Thu 21-Nov-13 20:17:50

I've got a similar group too, worst ever sad
Sometimes they are freakishly interested and good but mostly not - I always think they are up to no good when they're on one of their better days.

notnowImreading Thu 21-Nov-13 20:18:34

Creative, so practical? Any safety issues?

Orangeanddemons Thu 21-Nov-13 20:20:16

I had to have a go at a kid in the corridor. A member of staff later told me, it was the first time he'd ever heard me having a go. I've been there nearly 20 years.

Phineyj Thu 21-Nov-13 20:20:30

Okay, I have a class a bit like this. The only thing that really works is a carousel of activities against the clock - busy busy busy - or some kind of shiny IT. Good luck!

BrianButterfield Thu 21-Nov-13 20:21:13

My HoD will take out naughty kids for observations if you ask, on the grounds that, well, it's not fair on you to be observed with pupils who won't respond to reasonable behaviour management techniques. I suppose you'd already have gone there if it were an option but just in case it's worth asking!

Tinlegs Thu 21-Nov-13 20:21:31

Want subject? FFS What subject? Not that you'd trust me, given my typos.

However, I have found real world situations help. Competitions between teams with a winner voted for by the class (or chosen by the person watching). For example, we design newspapers or produce short trailers for books, work on analysing a film trailer or poem etc.

Orangeanddemons Thu 21-Nov-13 20:21:56

There won't be in this lesson. They are only using drawing stuff. They are better with equipment, but even then I have to police them all the time rather than just getting them working.

notnowImreading Thu 21-Nov-13 20:23:52

Can you say a bit about the personalities/reasons/quirks of the trickiest kids?

superlambanana Thu 21-Nov-13 20:24:52

Who is doing the observation? If it's a senior member of staff will they buck their ideas up? Two bonuses: you get a good observation, and they get to see how good your lessons are when they shut up and let you teach :-)

If you can prove that you have been on their case, and haven't let behaviour go and have been trying all the techniques and strategies, then I wouldn't worry. They'll know who the pains are probably before they even enter the room.

mineofuselessinformation Thu 21-Nov-13 20:26:50

I've been slated on the teaching strand today, because my class say I always set 'x' type of homework (actually it's 50% since sep) and I did something different to normal.....
I used a piece of software that is excellent for what I needed to teach (enlargements in maths) and worksheets (because the textbook stuff was crap).
To top it off, my manager said 'I know if I walk past the room or into it you will be teaching a 'good' lesson'. So the system is against something that is appropriate, but only for that area, because you don't normally do it..... And of course the students' say-so is 100 % reliable..... hmmhmmhmm
Sorry for the rant! As you were....

Orangeanddemons Thu 21-Nov-13 20:27:06

They are just giddy. Not evil, just giddy giddy giddy, and never ever stop talking and giggling. They disturb whoever I sit them with, and I don't have enough space to isolate them properly.

They seem to think its perfectly fine to talk across the classroom, not take coats off, wander off to chat with their mates

Aarrrrgh

Orangeanddemons Thu 21-Nov-13 20:29:23

I have tried every strategy and do follow behaviour guidance. Today I lost it and shouted at them. They went silent. I hate shouting, hate hate hate it.

Everyone knows they are some of the worst combinations of kids in the school

notnowImreading Thu 21-Nov-13 20:32:20

Do they like you? Are they the kind of kids who would defend you against outsiders? You could take them aside and explain what is going on. Alternatively, you could tell them that the observation is of their behaviour because the head wants to 'cull' year 11 and send the 20 worst behaved kids in the year group to borstal and they've been nominated... grin

mineofuselessinformation Thu 21-Nov-13 20:41:38

I've stopped feeling sorry for myself now....
Is it like 'whack-a-mole'? (A very good expression from a colleague of mine.) If it is, look at the timetable for appropriate colleagues you could send them to (ask first).
It would shock the hell out of them if you sent them out, set detentions etc.The worst group I had featured a group of six girls who were like a tag team. The only way to get on top of the class was to get rid of two or three if they were in the mood to be a pain, because generally the rest of them had worked out by that point they didn't want to be in trouble.
If you don't shout often, use it occasionally. They'll be surprised and shocked and hopefully will wind their necks in.
I really hope you have the support of a good CM/CL/HoD, whatever they're called in your school.

Orangeanddemons Thu 21-Nov-13 20:47:07

Quite like the behaviour idea, and being observed for that....

MrsYoungSalvoMontalbano Fri 22-Nov-13 18:47:19

I am also being observed next week with the worst class in the school grin so I kept behind the usual suspects yesterday, and told them if I don't see a radical improvement in the behaviour in the NEXT lesson (teehee, observed one) it is nuclear option - they can do their work in the foyer on worksheets under the eye of the HT for the rest of the term, and will miss out on end of term various fun things I have been trailing for them. Will let you know if it worked, but maybe then too late for you - good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now