Going to help in class next week, should I tell the NQT that...

(17 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Wed 20-Nov-13 21:25:22

I am a teacher and have 13 years experience behind me?
He asked me to come in and help with sticking work in books and then progress onto groups and possibly reading one to one if I could cope with it!

I didn't have the heart to tell him. I also don't want him to feel intimidated but wondered if I should slip It in conversation.

SatinSandals Wed 20-Nov-13 21:28:08

Definitely.

SatinSandals Wed 20-Nov-13 21:29:03

Sorry - not clear. I would, you can do it nicely and assure him that you are just helping.

MrsBazinga Wed 20-Nov-13 21:35:08

Absolutely! It's professional courtesy. But then be happy to do whatever is needed in the role of parent helper. It's a hard balance, but just be sensitive and supportive. I'm sure he'll be grateful knowing. And good for you. It's lovely helping.

ToucanBlack Wed 20-Nov-13 21:35:14

Yes definitely. Then he can decide how best to utilise your skills to benefit his class. (Which may still be sticking work in books, if that's what needs to be done!)

Not saying is silly and the Teacher may feel embarrassed if they find out later.

Euphemia Wed 20-Nov-13 23:02:07

It would be very weird NOT to say!

SatinSandals Thu 21-Nov-13 06:31:06

It will be quite difficult if you don't as he will waste time telling you things that you don't need to be told!

MiaowTheCat Thu 21-Nov-13 08:46:13

Tell him - it might mean he can use you better with other stuff (and that he's not going to have to explain things as fully to you).

RosemaryandThyme Fri 22-Nov-13 22:14:49

I'm a new LSA, with 10 years as a teacher - I didn't mention it for the first couple of weeks, I felt it was important that NQT was comfortable with me and saw that I would happily sharpen pencils, pop in with emergency tea and bickies, dig deep in the lost property box for that elusive glove, cone off piles of sick etc

I really didn't want her to think I was a judging pair of eyes, it also gave me a chance to find my way around.

When I did mention it I kept it light but she was still surprised and I think a little uncomfortable but a few weeks in and she has given me more and more responsibility, with both struggling groups of students and this week...an hour of Y6 top set maths! ... totally brilliant, makes for a fab days work - have re-stocked her emergency chocolate stash this evening in thanks.

SatinSandals Sat 23-Nov-13 07:33:39

It is actually a very common situation. Lots of teachers do it because they want to work in the classroom but want to start and finish as they walk in and out rather than it take over their life.

Imsosorryalan Sun 24-Nov-13 15:07:18

Thanks, now just got to work out what to say..blush

LoveandLife Sun 24-Nov-13 15:09:15

If course. It was a bit naughty not to tell him in the first place imo!

Imsosorryalan Sun 24-Nov-13 17:17:37

Love I haven't really spoken to her yet, all was conveyed in messages in book bag. I haven't been avoiding it!

madwomanintheatt1c Sun 24-Nov-13 17:26:30

If you only want to go and help to show willing and so that dd or Ds can see you being supportive, I wouldn't bother making a big thing of it.

If he asks how you feel about being a reading buddy, you can just smile and say, 'oh yes, that's fine. I taught KS1 for x years' and get on with it.

You may still not be allowed to write comments in the damned books as a parent helper.

It's usually not a big deal. I don't think I discussed my work history with any teachers - I just offered to do what was necessary and got on with it. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. She doesn't need another teacher, she needs a parent to stick stuff in books and do a bit of reading buddy stuff. Don't be forcing yourself in where she needs to learn to be in control herself.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 24-Nov-13 17:26:31

I'd say 'thanks for this, i've really missed working in a classroom'...that sort of thing. Hints at it but its up to them to enquire further.

GW297 Sun 24-Nov-13 23:04:08

I bet she'd be able to guess even if you didn't tell her!

Imsosorryalan Mon 25-Nov-13 09:13:38

GW that's probably trueshock as soon as I say the classic " what can you tell me about this..."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now