Time for ppa

(10 Posts)
Verycold Wed 13-Nov-13 19:13:01

I teach 42 lessons a fortnight and get 4 lessons ppa, which seemed fine until I realized that my colleague with the same amount of lessons gets 5! And another one with 33 lessons gets 4 as well. Before I take this further, could there be a valid reason? Does it make a difference that they are more experienced and permanent, I am maternity cover?

partystress Wed 13-Nov-13 20:06:14

AFAIK the standard entitlement is 10%, so sounds like you are missing a bit. Could your colleagues have some kind of management responsibilities which mean they are getting a bit more than 10%?

EvilTwins Wed 13-Nov-13 23:04:11

It's 10% of the full timetable so if it's 50 period timetable, you should have 5. What are you expected to do in the 2 that aren't PPA but you aren't teaching?

EvilTwins Wed 13-Nov-13 23:04:51

Sorry, misread - you teach 42 and have 4 PPA. What about the other 4?

Verycold Wed 13-Nov-13 23:07:38

Sorry, should have explained better - 60 lesson timetable over two weeks. My contract is .77, which gives 42 teaching lessons plus 4 ppa

EvilTwins Wed 13-Nov-13 23:12:12

In that case you are entitled to 4.6 PPA periods - not sure how you'd achieve that - worth a conversation with your line manager though. IME it's better to go in with "I don't think I'm getting my full PPA entitlement" though as opposed to drawing comparisons with colleagues. What sort of school are you in? Indy/free school/academy - no entitlement anyway hmm

Verycold Wed 13-Nov-13 23:17:57

Academy...

I think I'll probably just leave it confused

EvilTwins Wed 13-Nov-13 23:22:28

I'm not sure you'd get anywhere with it - maybe worth bringing it up for next year though, in the summer term.

cuggles Thu 14-Nov-13 11:46:24

They can give you back time as, for example, registration or missed assemblies if you dont have a tutor group....it doesnt have to be "non-contact" actual lessons you get earmarked for PPA it can just be time...very unfair to give it to you this way though as what use is ten mins at a time for example but it is allowed! Often if you are missing a .something and not a full one they will do that! Well maybe not often but it is done!

clam Sun 24-Nov-13 21:44:43

I had something similar last year. I was only getting just under 6% PPA altogether, instead of 10. I was really nervous about bringing it up, but in the end decided I must, making the point that I could not do my job properly otherwise.
I was worrying for nothing, as it turned out, as the HT had not realised and rectified it immediately, as well as giving me a fair bit of 'payback' too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now