Completed Primary PGCE July, DC3 born Aug. How long to have off?

(1 Post)
AnotherTeacherMum Sat 09-Nov-13 21:38:47

Hi

I'm hoping for some views on what to do next.

I started my PGCE Sep 2012 and had a huge surprise in Dec when I found out I was pg with dc3 (dc1 is age 6 and dd is 5). Truthfully, if I had known that I was going to have another baby I would have left it a few years before I undertook the PGCE. However as I had started and the course was going well I decided to continue. Both of my major teaching placements went well and I got a 'good' grading overall when I graduated in July.

I have been off since and am hoping to start some day to day supply on a p/t basis after the Feb half term. I then intend to apply to any p/t perm or fixed term jobs for Sep 2014 onwards. I am reluctant to look for full time at this point, partly to reduce pressure on family life, but also because I would be gutted if I ended up being a rubbish teacher because I just didn't have the time/ energy needed to do a good job.

I am worried about how much potential employers will be put off by the fact that I have had 6 months off straight after qualifying, and even more so once they realise it's because I have just had a baby.

I guess I'm wondering if this is a realistic career path... I'm based in the North West so perhaps not as many jobs about as other areas.

Any advice appreciated... thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now