I don't want to go back :(

(137 Posts)
KareninsGirl Sun 03-Nov-13 14:00:44

That's it in a nutshell. We have experienced huge change in our workplace and I'm doing three times the workload I should due to others either bring absent or not doing their jobs properly.

I used to love my job but all I feel now is disillusioned and exhausted.

Please remind me of why education is such a great sector to work in?!

ninah Thu 14-Nov-13 22:05:55

We are RI, inspection or obs every week, my skin has broken out in huge sores, team with no training, everyone fed up, people leaving like flies ....am being told it's getting better and this is a normal stage in the process towards good
Is this normal?

ReluctantBeing Thu 14-Nov-13 22:27:08

God, you poor thing. I'm frequently forcing myself to ignore the powers that be hammering down the stress, and focus on the kids. They are important.

Endofmyfeather Fri 13-Dec-13 01:58:19

This thread actually just made me cry on a BUS! blush

I'm a teacher, on a few years hiatus while living abroad and working in HE Admin. I miss teaching, my ex colleagues and the kids so, so much. But then I read these things and remember all the shit that had crept into the job I truly loved and it actually makes me weep (...on a bus!) because even the thought of going back into it makes me anxious.

Michael Gove: the biggest exception to "don't hate the player, hate the game". What a bloody tragic mess.

Sparkle9 Sat 14-Dec-13 02:31:52

I'm a senior leader in an outstanding primary. I appear to be pretty successful at my job. However I work ALL the time and never manage to get through it all. More and more work seems to be generated or demanded. And I'm all too aware that this sometimes means that I have to pass things onto the classroom teachers (I have a four days teaching commitment so I'm keenly aware of the pressures). The gatekeeper to this seems to be the head. And the head insists that we must do XY and Z. When I ask why, I usually get a response along the lines of 'we have to show Ofsted...'

I hoped to be a head in the future but I'm torn between pursuing this and leaving teaching altogether. I don't want to be a head if I can't lead a school in the way that I want to - for the children and their learning. If it won't impact positively on the children then I don't see the point! And I think there's far too much emphasis on data and marking - especially for our youngest pupils. So I will probably 'fail' as a head anyway!

I have started browsing job adverts and would leave teaching if I found something else. I need it to be a well paid job so that I can make sure any future offspring of mine can go to an independent school of my choosing seeing as all the state school teachers are being worn down and driven out of the profession. :-(

jellyandcake Sat 14-Dec-13 04:13:16

What is HE Admin? A couple of posters have mentioned they have gone into this from teaching? I am going on my second maternity leave in April and don't want to return to teaching. I just don't know what else to do and we can't afford for me to have a gap. I have thought of exam marking and transcription work though I worry that working at home may be isolating. I can't keep up teaching though - as evidenced by the fact I am awake at 4am searching for alternative job ideas!!

Misssss Sat 14-Dec-13 11:36:50

I've just left my job. Don't have another to go to at the moment but the dole queue is better than five more minutes in my hellhole school. I had an interview last week (I didn't get the job) When I asked my head for the morning off, she turned round and said, "Oh, they probably had a cancellation." School has recently got inadequate in Ofsted and it is just awful.

Was scared about leaving but I feel ten stones lighter - so happy, cannot wait for the 20th! I have two interviews next week at nicer schools so fingers crossed I get one of those, if not something will come up.

ninah Sat 14-Dec-13 19:42:19

Good luck missss! I feel quite envious. Even the thought of lasting til Easter seems grim in my school

Misssss Sun 15-Dec-13 08:28:13

Thank you Ninah! You will be fine! Are you definitely going at Easter? Just having and end date makes everything so much better. Roll on next week...

SummerPlum Sun 15-Dec-13 09:12:18

jelly, HE Admin = working in a university, but on the support side (not as an academic, which is every bit as stressful as being a teacher).

Jobs.ac.uk

Good luck.

jellyandcake Sun 15-Dec-13 10:54:13

Thanks - would working in HE admin roles be term time or do they run year-round? I am prepared to work full time in a less stressful role than part-time in teaching so I would work five days for a similar salary (or less) as I am currently getting for three days but I have brilliant term time only childcare so ideally I am looking for term time work but I realise this is the holy grail for a lot of people!

ninah Sun 15-Dec-13 13:11:35

thanks! I have written my resignation letter out several times, sometimes with fantastic frankness grin but am yet to hand it in.

SummerPlum Sun 15-Dec-13 16:52:25

Jelly, most professional services jobs in Unis will be year-round. Things don't stop when the students are on holiday! It can be hard work, but it's office work (so at least you can go for a piss when you like, unlike teaching!), and the pay and conditions tend to be quite good, depending on where you live. Term-time only work is indeed popular, and I know some admin workers who have managed to wangle it, but you'll obviously stand a better chance if you're flexible and prepared to work full time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now