Anxiety and teaching - medical records

(6 Posts)
Sparklesandglitter Sun 03-Nov-13 06:43:22

Over the last few months my old anxiety issues seem to be coming back. I am considering going to the drs to see if I can get on the waiting list for therapy but I am concerned about it being on my medical records if I apply for a new job. Can it impact on your career prospects? I can't afford to go private unfortunately
TIA

buss Sun 03-Nov-13 14:54:52

you wouldn't have to reveal it unless you had taken time off for your anxiety and it was listed as a reason for absence I'd think?

sandiy Sun 03-Nov-13 15:06:25

I can t think of any reason why your medical records would be given to anyone they are private.We have really strict data protection in Britain.There is no way that your employers could ask or be given Info about your health without you r written consent.Get the councilling if you need it.

Lottiedoubtie Sun 03-Nov-13 15:11:23

Your medical records are nothing to do with your employer (current or future).

It only becomes relevant if you have to have an extended period off work- far more likely if you don't seek help.

Sparklesandglitter Sun 03-Nov-13 17:22:50

When I have got teaching jobs previously I had to disclose my medical history and sign to say that my medical records could be accessed (I think it was called Fit to Teach?)

buss Sun 03-Nov-13 17:58:27

I've never had to disclose my medical history to anyone and have changed teaching jobs a fair bit.

I think that if you have a disability (anxiety is a disability isn't it?) you don't have to disclose at interview.

You're also protected by the equality act so an employer can't use your disability as a reason not to hire or dismiss you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now