Reluctance to deploy LSA

(7 Posts)
RosemaryandThyme Sat 26-Oct-13 15:36:59

Hi, I'm a new LSA working for two teachers at KS2, my role is LSA for maths, I'm supposed to spend mornings in the maths lessons and afternoons supporting small groups of children.
I'm constantly hitting a brick wall with getting access to the children in the afternoons, the teachers are reluctant to identify or send childr3en to me for support and irate if I attempt to physically gather children from their afternoon classes for additional maths support.
Has anyone experienced this ? thanks

aroomofherown Sat 26-Oct-13 15:37:55

Do you report to a SENCO? I'd see her/him and explain this to them and get some support to get the kids the interventions.

RosemaryandThyme Sat 26-Oct-13 15:52:09

Thanks, yes the SEN children do come to me, but their time-slots only fill a third of the available time, after this I'm meant to be raising standers of maths for all.... I've 2.5 hrs per day left to fill and teachers are seem to be so adverse to letting me get my hands on any mid ability children.

aroomofherown Sat 26-Oct-13 15:59:27

You really need to talk to someone higher up. It's not your battle to fight - you're there to improve grades, not deal with strategy.

Go to your Line Manager and explain your concerns.

RosemaryandThyme Sat 26-Oct-13 16:07:10

Thanks so much, yes I do need someone with more authority, I think I've just been trying to fit in and not offend anyone - time to be a bit less wet !

aroomofherown Sat 26-Oct-13 16:14:36

It's hard when you have just started a job - you can't go in all guns blazing straight away. First half term over and time to start the squeeze wink

LuvMyBoyz Sun 27-Oct-13 20:19:43

How are the pupils identified for interventions? Who is identifying them? Who has planned the intervention and how is progress being measured? The person who has decided these actions are needed should also inform the teachers that this is happening and to ensure the pupils take part.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now