Do you need to include a cover letter with an application form? Another silly question!

(14 Posts)
barmybunting Fri 25-Oct-13 13:09:29

Hi all,

I seem to be trapsing in here with all sorts of silly questions at the moment!

I'm about to submit two application forms for teaching jobs in England. I have only ever taught in Scotland, and everything is applied for online here with a standardised form and no place for emails/cover letters etc.

So now I have to email this paper form in, I'm not sure - do you generally need to include a cover letter alongside the application form or do schools hate this?

Thanks!

barmybunting Fri 25-Oct-13 13:10:01

trapsing should be traipsing!

superram Fri 25-Oct-13 14:24:42

If the form has room for a personal statement then an email saying application form attached is fine. If just previous jobs, etc then put a covering letter-but still email it.

I assuming these are not private schools-they usually stipulate covering letter.

barmybunting Fri 25-Oct-13 14:48:28

Thanks superram. They aren't private schools, and it does include space for personal statements so email it is. Thanks!

juniper9 Sun 27-Oct-13 13:57:57

When I was applying for nqt jobs I didn't think to send a covering letter. I had no responses from the schools I applied to directly, bar one who took the time to email me and tell me it was bad practice to not include a personalised to the school covering letter, and that most schools bin applications without them.

The next time I applied for jobs, I wrote s generic covering letter then altered it to fit the school. Basically I would read the ofsted report and work out how I was a similar teacher, and what I could do to help them overcome their weaker points. I got called to interview for all but one post (who said I wasn't experienced enough).

If it's done by email then send it as a word attachment.

juniper9 Sun 27-Oct-13 13:58:54

Have a look through the TES jobs advice section- there are loads of templates and ideas on there.

SatinSandals Sun 27-Oct-13 14:06:48

I would always send a covering letter.

barmybunting Sun 27-Oct-13 17:40:05

Thanks juniper and satinsandals. I've had many a look around the tes site regarding covering letters but I'm still confused if I'm honest!

When application forms include a personal statement, to me a covering letter is just a statement of the fact you wish to apply for x job and where you saw it. A short (1 para) summary of why you want to apply and why you think you can do the job and then thanking them for their time etc. Anything over and above this is a repeat of the personal statement I think?

But there again maybe I have the personal statement thing wrong.

I would include all of the above details in an email stating my application form/personal statement was attached.

Do you both include an attached cover letter to an email, and just state what is enclosed in your email?

Thanks!

SatinSandals Sun 27-Oct-13 18:21:51

I would do that.

It is better to have something that you don't need, rather than not have something you need-if you can follow that!

TheFallenMadonna Sun 27-Oct-13 18:24:14

Always a covering letter.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 27-Oct-13 18:25:27

Letter as attachment. Email just says "please accept my application for the post of... advertised in..."

juniper9 Sun 27-Oct-13 18:44:47

I will PM you my covering letter from the last time I applied for jobs, if you like

barmybunting Sun 27-Oct-13 19:33:01

Thank you, all of you! I have been trying to make sense of what is the done thing for days and just couldn't work it out. (--That bodes well for the job hunt if I can't work that out I guess!--)

That makes a lot of sense. I will do exactly that, including the letter as an attachment and application form.

Juniper, would you please? That would be very helpful!

Many thanks!

suze28 Mon 28-Oct-13 23:50:32

When I applied for NQT jobs I always included a covering letter that included an executive summary. I got the idea from the TES job seekers advice section where there were attachments and examples.
Good luck with your applications.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now