I cried in the staff room yesterday.

(5 Posts)
englishteacher78 Thu 17-Oct-13 05:58:56

Three years ago this Christmas a former student (from a class of 9 Eng Lit A Level) killed himself after his first term at Uni. The following year a girl from the same class lost her battle with anorexia. They were both marvellous writers and wonderful students.
Yesterday, the teacher in charge of assemblies came up to me at break to run the Remembrance Day assembly past me - he does this every now and then so I can recommend readers. We used to give him an example of year 9 poetry they'd written in the WWI unit. He'd dug out the one he thought was the best ever. It was the poem the first student wrote back in Year 9. It is brilliant. It contains a line at the end 'will you remember me when I'm gone'.
I'm crying again now.

imip Thu 17-Oct-13 06:02:13

sad what an emotional assembly that will be. Very touching poem.

ClarisseVonTrumpington Thu 17-Oct-13 06:37:28

On Englishteacber, that is awful. To have lost two students (even after they had left you) - I can't imagine it. So very sad.

How wonderful that the boy's work will live on through other children reading.

Mummyoftheyear Sat 19-Oct-13 10:04:00

Such a sad but moving time. Hope all goes well.

englishteacher78 Sat 19-Oct-13 10:35:33

Just heard that we've lost another student. He got diagnosed with cancer just after his A-Levels. He should be half way through the first term of his second year at University!
As well as this we have two students undergoing cancer treatment - one of whom will have to go to America for some treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now