Help! Interview lesson!!!

(10 Posts)
HariboAndWine Tue 15-Oct-13 20:33:20

I have a job interview next week and am required to teach a 30 min maths lesson to a year 1 mixed ability class with a focus on awe and wonder! I am stumped. I don't normally teach year 1 but was thinking of something to do with shape or problem solving? Any wonderous, outstanding lesson ideas out there please? Please?

HariboAndWine Tue 15-Oct-13 20:53:40

Bump. Really need some wisdom.

amistillsexy Tue 15-Oct-13 21:13:50

Awe and Wonder makes me think they're looking for a one-off lesson that intrigues the children.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking patterns in nature, the way every flower of a certain type will have the same number of petals (isn't it usually odd numbers as well?), or the way leaves spiral round a branch in a certain, mathematical way (something to do with prime numbers?).

I'm sure the Fibonacci sequence is a bit wonderous as well, but might go over Y1's heads.

As you can see, I'm an absolute expert at this type of thing grin

HariboAndWine Tue 15-Oct-13 21:18:50

I like those ideas! Gets the mind thinking. Some ideas a little advanced granted wink but I love the nature idea. Thanks.

amistillsexy Tue 15-Oct-13 21:19:57

I really love magic monkey but I think Y1s would be too young to work out how it works (fun for older ones though!)

Maraki Tue 15-Oct-13 21:24:02

I dont know if this helps, but my year 1 DD has been in awe ever since her teacher talked about earthquakes.

Inclusionist Tue 15-Oct-13 21:29:53

You could get some gelly bath and measure out different amounts of water and crystals in jugs? (half a jug/ quater of a jug maybe?).

Gelly bath is good for a bit of drama.

Inclusionist Tue 15-Oct-13 21:31:23
PenelopePitstops Tue 15-Oct-13 21:31:48

Awe and wonder....!

Nrich is a good website with interesting problems.

Secondary school maths here though so struggling!

Estimating? How many sweets?

One of those number tricks?

Mummyoftheyear Sat 19-Oct-13 10:17:38

Families of facts:
What else do we know if we know that 2+5=7 ?

2x5=10

Demonstrate by giving groups cubes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now