Would you apply for a job in a SM school or stay out of teaching for a while?

(7 Posts)
MinnieMousse Mon 14-Oct-13 22:16:12

I had some helpful replies when I posted before, so hoping to gain the benefit of some more MN teacher wisdom. A planned house move and relocation has fallen through (that's a whole other thread smile) and I am left in the position of having already resigned from my cushy, permanant part-time teaching position. I've been replaced, so no going back. I have young children and could just about afford to stay out of work for a few months with them. However, I'm worried that if I do that, it will be really hard to find teaching work in the future. Also, I would have to sort out new childcare as the nursery I currently use is near my old school, so that creates another headache when looking for work. I live in a part of the country where part-time teaching work seems very rare.

Today, I've seen a job-share position advertised in a school down the road from my current one. It would mean I could keep the girls in nursery, and it's even the same days as my current job. However, the school is in special measures and "challenging" behaviour was mentioned. Do you think this would be too stressful to take on with young children? Any opinions or experiences gratefully received. Thanks!

42notTrendy Mon 14-Oct-13 22:20:44

I would go and have a look. I've worked in a couple of schools in that situation, one horrific, one fab. You will be able to gauge that from a visit. And they will probably be very open with you about the issues so you will know what to expect.
It's hard work in schools like that as there is no room for a unplanned go with flow kind of lesson, but it's very rewarding and will really hone your skills.

Arisbottle Mon 14-Oct-13 22:27:27

I think it depends on you ? Do you have quite good behaviour management skills? if you do I would give it a go?

A school in special measures can be quite an exciting place to work because changes have to happen. I would rather work in a school in special measures than one that is hiding its problems and coasting along.

42notTrendy Mon 14-Oct-13 22:35:26

Me too Aris smile

vhappybut Tue 15-Oct-13 00:07:52

It might be stressful, but so would a job in a leafy suburb in terms of needing to arrange new childcare, switch days etc. If you got the job, you could always leave if too hard - but would mean you are still in work, no gap in your cv.
I work in a school that is not in special measures (different country) but has a fairly poor catchment area. Great place to work, lovely atmosphere.

MinnieMousse Tue 15-Oct-13 11:09:03

All good points, thank you very much. I'll go and take a look at the school and see what I think.

MiaowTheCat Tue 15-Oct-13 12:45:20

I'd have a look - they've been through our local area on a rampage recently and lots of really nice schools (I did supply for about 5 years so I've seen most places warts and all) got hit by the special measures stick for ridiculous reasons. On the other hand at least one school locally fully bloody deserves the SM stick since it's so crap, all the staff hate each other and hate working there and if I was offered a job there on a million a year - I'd be running the opposite way very very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now