Shall I go back to teaching?

(13 Posts)
duckyfuzz Sun 13-Oct-13 19:35:08

Pressures have changed beyond all recognition since 2002, I've just quit having taught since 1995

Phineyj Sun 13-Oct-13 19:30:07

You might consider the independent sector - less targets and so on.

BranchingOut Sat 12-Oct-13 09:56:36

Mm, I was a primary teacher and would say it changed significantly between 2002 and 2009 when I left. I think that the rate of change has got faster stil since.

nostress Sat 12-Oct-13 09:42:27

Yes I was thinking about asking my local comp if I could come in and do some work experience. My old school is also advertising but I'm not sure about going back there. I had a dream last night about starting up an ebay company selling clothes so maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me something!

LadyDamerel Sat 12-Oct-13 00:27:24

If you want to keep that nickname, I'd say no!

wink

LuvMyBoyz Fri 11-Oct-13 23:16:01

Sorry, 'Nostress' !

LuvMyBoyz Fri 11-Oct-13 23:15:32

Good idea Wolfiefan. Any science teacher would be glad to let you trail them for a day or so to see how it has changed, mistress.

Wolfiefan Fri 11-Oct-13 21:05:50

I wouldn't worry about the new tech. It's the new exams, performance management, expectations of what staff will do (eg interventions) above and beyond teaching, the meetings, OFSTED (child late to your lesson? Can't be good as all haven't made good progress!) constant change and pressure from management.
Plus the expectation of a shitty pension when we are done. (Although I've been told if we keel over on strike day they will honour the death in service benefits!)
Thank God for the kids and the actual teaching!

On a slightly more helpful note... Can you get in a secondary school or two to help you make a decision?

Meow75 Fri 11-Oct-13 20:59:45

Don't do it, unless you can come to Lincolnshire, find me a job out of education then you can have my 4 days a week. I currently hate it, and am only still employed there to pay my way at home.

Nojustalurker Fri 11-Oct-13 20:57:33

The big changes are a move towards linear exams and other unknown changes to exams depending on Gove current ideas. Oftsed nolonger has satisfactory rating, it is requires improvement, you use show progress ever 20 mins. Alit more pressure to meeting targets and a move towards performance related pay. If the school you work in is anything like mine they won't have the money to buy new technology.

nostress Fri 11-Oct-13 20:47:17

Science! I'm thinking I can cope with the science but worried about the new tech in the classrooms!

Cynderella Fri 11-Oct-13 20:39:14

A lot! But it's always changing. New GCSEs soon so we'll all be starting again. What subject?

nostress Fri 11-Oct-13 20:32:56

Last taught 2002, secondary. How much has it changed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now