Are all teachers trained in CPR/First Aid?

(27 Posts)
Greenkit Fri 11-Oct-13 12:11:27

This was posted on Facebook https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jcPSqe-oxPM and I wondered how many teachers are trained in CPR/First Aid and if it is mandatory or voluntary?

Also how many UK schools have AED's?

Do you think each school should have one?

Phineyj Sun 13-Oct-13 17:38:09

No they're not. However, we're being offered it as CPD this year and I've signed up. I would much prefer to be trained in it especially as we have very patchy phone provision.

Mind you when I worked for the NHS there was no requirement to be trained in First Aid (if you were non-clinical) hmm

Lewis3 Tue 29-Oct-13 19:49:14

As a former school teacher and a first aid trainer I know that there huge differences. Not all school teachers are trained. One school I went to recently had nobody trained to meet their legal obligations.

I do support a charity called Hand on Heart which aims to get more defibrillators into schools and train up staff and pupils. www.handonheart.org/. 12-16 young people die every week in the UK from sudden cardiac arrest, 80% of victims will have no prior symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now