Day Off To Attend A Funeral

(14 Posts)
lsa2 Mon 14-Oct-13 21:11:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ohwhatwitcheryisthis Thu 10-Oct-13 18:00:19

You could sound out your line manager. Luckily my school are uber sympathetic but sil's were awful when fil died. I got two days as we had to travel, she got asked if she could manage to just do the afternoon? Even the stoniest of heads couldn't refuse you some time off.

lsa2 Thu 10-Oct-13 17:51:13

lsa2 Thu 10-Oct-13 17:02:46

juniper9 Wed 09-Oct-13 23:10:50

It's up the the LEA, not the school. The head can choose to botch the books a bit to give you a day that the LEA wouldn't (for example, I got some days in leu because I did jury duty during the holiday, but that was just my head being kind).

Can you take it as unpaid leave if push comes to shove? Or cry at the office staff? They often have quite a lot of influence over this type of thing... they'll discuss how upset you were etc when the Head's around.

Sorry for your loss thanks

lsa2 Tue 08-Oct-13 21:28:08

Lottiedoubtie Tue 08-Oct-13 20:33:21

I wouldn't work in a school which would refuse you this.

But I believe they do exist.

Fingers crossed for you- asking at the end of the day is sensible and try to ask as soon as you know the date to give as much notice as possible.

lsa2 Tue 08-Oct-13 18:08:55

Please don't ask a friend to ask for you - I think that's more likely to make the head say no and isn't the right way to go about it.

I'm really sorry about your nephew.

lsa2 Mon 07-Oct-13 19:23:20

lsa2 Mon 07-Oct-13 19:11:17

LuvMyBoyz Mon 07-Oct-13 19:07:27

In general a nephew doesn't count as a close family member (personally, though, I really appreciate that this is just crap). You have to ask the head for permission to go and they may say yes with pay, yes but without pay, or no you can't. Never known a head to turn anyone down and in general they have had time off with pay. It is entirely at the Heads discretion. So sorry things can't be clearer when you are under so much stress.

Cynderella Mon 07-Oct-13 18:53:59

Our school has an absence policy which sets out what leave of absence can be expected for specific events and whether it is paid or unpaid. It varies from school to school but I would have thought your head would have given you the day, although it may be unpaid. The only way to be sure is to look at your school's policy or ask - perhaps a colleague could ask for you, explaining that you are likely to cry if you have to talk about it?

lsa2 Mon 07-Oct-13 18:34:42

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now