Anyone know of any useful KS3 ENglish booster packs?

(3 Posts)
Astr0naut Wed 25-Sep-13 19:47:44

I'm a recently crowned KS3 coordinator (temp, until head finds someone he likes better), who needs to source some material to help underachieveing kids go froma 4-5 and 5-6 in years 8 and 9. Ideally, it needs to be something they can work through alone, as we're going to send work home to see if this works before more hardcore intervention.

I know Maths have 'My Maths', so I was wondering if anyone has used anything in English, either online or plain, old-fashioned textbooks. We've got the Smart skills books, but they seem tailored for actual lessons, rather than independent work.

Any ideas welcome!

Movingtimes Wed 25-Sep-13 21:13:17

The Collins Aiming for Level books are good. Have a look here. I've used for class based skills work as each child can be working on the most appropriate thing for them. Not sure how they would work as home learning.

sassytheFIRST Sat 28-Sep-13 08:17:57

Bbc skillswise is excellent - and as it is aimed at adult learners can feel less patronising than bitesize used for catchup as it is usually aimed at KS2.

Badger starters are good too - books available at word, sentence and text level to help with a variety of basic skills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now