How much responsibility do you have to take for data in your school?

(17 Posts)
partystress Sat 21-Sep-13 12:27:07

I think we have a problem at our school (primary) and would love to hear what it is like elsewhere... Do you input TA and test data yourself on whatever central system your school uses? If someone else inputs it, are you invited to check it? Does the central system produce progress data for you, or do you play around yourself with lists or spreadsheets? If you have a central system, do you keep all your own records just in case, or do you trust the central system? Any comments/experiences would be gratefully received!

HedgeHogGroup Sat 21-Sep-13 18:11:05

I take overall control of data in my school. For targets I print out sheets for the staff (A3) and they amend any they think I've over/under estimated. For termly data, they add it onto Classroom Monitor & the Assessment Leader looks at it & analyses it.
At the end of the year I look at all their data and add it onto the whole school spreadsheet to draw conclusions from it.
Before any end of Key Stage data is sent off anywhere we scrutinise it to make sure its accurate (the school have been stung in this way before)
PM me if you want any specific examples

partystress Sat 21-Sep-13 18:38:50

Thank you! Will take you up on your kind offer!

MrsBazinga Sat 21-Sep-13 19:16:31

At my last school (Primary) class teachers were responsible for inputting and saving levels (read,write,maths,science) termly (x6) onto the school's data programme.

Then we were expected to analyse data and produce a raft of assessment statistics for a 'pack' to go through with the SMT at termly (x6) class progress meetings.

This included straight points progress data, attainment for each child against national standards and individual predictions (from FS data and current year), statistical information on pupil premium pupils as a group, SA and SA+ children, children on FSMs, boys/girls and summer birthdays, and detailed information on how we were gong to provide interventions for individual children and groups high-lighted as being below expected progress or attainment for the following term.

The workload was enormous.

Arisbottle Sat 21-Sep-13 19:35:34

Classroom teachers rarely input data, we shouldn't deal with data more than once.

For exams and things on paper I pass them to our department admin and he or she will input it onto my mark book and the central system.

For grades from books I input into my personal mark book and the admin team put it into the central system.

Teachers do not do basic analysis, that is done for us and we can request other types of analysis to be done.

So we take very little responsibility tbh.

partystress Sat 21-Sep-13 19:48:10

Wow - quite some difference there then! Arisbottle can I ask if you would happy with the arrangement at your school if progress data plays a key part in determining pay rises? Have just had to go through and amend my progress stats for last year because the admin person who input our data failed to see there was quite a difference between B3 (below 3) and 3B!

Mrs Bazinga - did the programme itself do any of that analysis for you or was it just a place to store data?

Arisbottle Sat 21-Sep-13 19:49:40

I am happy with it because they are well trained and probably much better with data than I am.

MrsBazinga Sat 21-Sep-13 19:55:48

We used Pupil Tracker online, and it did produce some but not all of the statistics, if you knew how to use it, but we still then had to transfer that information onto SMT's proforma. And we weren't given any training, so had to work out how to do all the searches ourselves (which took ages - it's very complicated). I'm sure it probably would have produced it all, if only we knew how!

partystress Sat 21-Sep-13 20:01:47

Mrs Bazinga - that is wherre I suspect we are! A RollsRoyce system which we are using as if it were an old tandem!

We have to put levels in on SIMS at the end of each half term. Then produce class analysis forms using SISRA at the end of each term. Heads of Department then have to do a school analysis form based on the class analysis forms. In the absence of a HoD in our department at the moment I did those a couple of weeks ago. It took me 6hrs. I also had to do a post-16 data analysis and a course component analysis for all exam groups. It's a nightmare.

GetStuffezd Sun 22-Sep-13 16:24:54

We input our data 3 times a year (but I'm in year six so realistically I deal with data more frequently.)
We then do all the analysis ourselves. It's not excessive, to be honest, as it was in my prev school. Also I find it clears up in my head where Im going and where I need to focus.

My last school was an utter joke in terms of what we are asked to do. AND they used Pupil Tracker.

partystress Sun 22-Sep-13 17:55:21

Mathcsticks - makes me glad I am primary!

GetStuffezd - do you just use Excel for analysis or do you have a system that helps you? I am Y6 too, and a bit of a data geek, so I am quite happy poring over laptops, but I am keen to get feel for what is reasonable to expect of other teachers, and what is out there that could make their lives easier.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Sun 22-Sep-13 18:07:49

I am primary. Every teacher at my school is responsible for their own data. Our head gives us a blank spreadsheet of his design to fill in and we hand in our assessments every term. We set targets from it and pick out children for pupil progress meetings. Our tas are expected to understand and keep up to date with the levels for children and key groups. This takes a lot of time after school, which I think is hard on them. I view it as part of being a teacher, you have to know your class data and I feel like I have more of a handle on it because I input it myself - thats probably just down to how my memory works though! And dont get me started on development matters - another kettle of fish entirely!

GetStuffezd Sun 22-Sep-13 18:19:00

I honk it's an excel chart thingy - you place the kids in depending on where they entered KS2, and it helps you see quickly who's on track or not. The rest of the stuff comes from SIMs.
I do like data, but I have unlucky enough to work in a school where everyone falsified their data to hide the fact the kids weren't making progress. So I don't believe it's infallible. The good thing I find about year six. S there is no room for inflating or falsifying...you'll be found out at the end of the year!

GetStuffezd Sun 22-Sep-13 18:19:22

Honk = think!

partystress Sun 22-Sep-13 20:04:07

Thonks grin!

cardibach Sat 28-Sep-13 22:08:34

Department admin? Bloody hell. I've worked in 6 schools in 5 authorities and never encountered that. Arisbottle I am beginning to think you are not actually a teacher in the UK but someone trying to wind us up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now