Behaviour problems - 4.5 year-old.

(9 Posts)
Euphemia Wed 18-Sep-13 22:50:22

How would you handle a 4.5 year-old who can't sit and listen for longer than two minutes, goes under tables, gets up and wanders about and refuses to do as he's asked?

I've tried the gentle, positive approach; I've tried firm, and nothing makes a difference. He just refuses to comply.

He's by far the youngest in the class: I think what he needs to do is grow up, but how can I help him to settle in the meantime?!

Wizard19 Thu 19-Sep-13 10:23:19

Try not to give instructions that last more than the 2 minutes. As long as he is safe under the table etc, try and let him be - perhaps ask him how many legs are on the table. The less you focus on - not completely ignore - he is likely to bring himself gradually back in the fold. Good luck.

Cheryzan Thu 19-Sep-13 17:37:04

Would you not also be thinking of an assessment for ADHD???????

If not, at what stage would you think that?

Euphemia Thu 19-Sep-13 20:45:31

This boy is too young for school, in my opinion. His parents should have deferred his entry until next August. P1 is very different to Nursery, and he's just not ready.

I was hoping for some advice on how to help him settle.

tethersend Fri 20-Sep-13 17:54:54

Have you ever used Circle Of Friends?

It may be useful to use his peers to help him with his behaviour. I will have a look for resources for younger ones- I have seen it used to great effect with reception aged children.

Euphemia Fri 20-Sep-13 18:00:16

Thanks - that sounds good. I am doing Cool In School with them and we're going to start Circle Time in a few weeks.

tethersend Fri 20-Sep-13 18:12:56

Circle time is great, I love it.

Let us know how you get on smile

tethersend Fri 20-Sep-13 18:15:37
Euphemia Fri 20-Sep-13 18:17:54

Thanks - that's much much more helpful than seven question marks really helpful. I'll have a good read of that. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now