Any uni lecturers/faculty/pe ople in the know out there who can advise me on my unusual circumstances, please help!

(6 Posts)
uniuni Tue 10-Sep-13 15:38:26

I fell pregnant during my final year of uni and decided to try and finish.

My pregnancy and personal circumstances meant I didn't manage to finish but Uni were very understanding and let me defer till baby was a year old so I could return as a non attending student and simply hand in my portfolio for marking at the end of the year.

First year post birth was even harder due to personal issues.

Was diagnosed as having severe anxiety and moderate depression while pregnant, in actuality, have been suffering from severe anxiety for years that was undiagnosed and untreated.

My mental health deteriorated last year and I had a breakdown. The extent of my mental health issues mean I am now on AD and recieving counselling through Mind.

It has now become apparent that my issues severely affected my ability to perform at Uni and massively affected my grades in second year of study. Was having panick attacks and other issues at the time but didn't realise just how impacted my study was by my mental health issues.

Is there any way I can appeal to re- submit 2nd year work even though it has already been assessed and three years have passed?

I was really unstable at the time but undiagnosed.

uniuni Tue 10-Sep-13 15:39:22

Should have added, I am supposed to finish portfolio this year for final year.

throckenholt Tue 10-Sep-13 15:42:33

I think all you can do is ask - it is not a routine situation and would have to be judged on the merits of your case. If you don't ask then you won't get it - so nothing to lose.

Good luck.

uniuni Tue 10-Sep-13 15:47:21

Thank you.

I just made the first phone call today and am awaiting a call back so haven't actually discussed it with the uni yet.

Of course it has triggered my anxiety so I am seeking any help in understanding what the realistic outcome might be.

The uni have been so understanding about my pregnancy that I fear their patience will run short with me.

uniuni Tue 10-Sep-13 20:46:10

Bump, anyone?

muminthesun1 Thu 12-Sep-13 20:33:59

My advice would be, just finish the degree, get it done as soon as you can and move on. Doesn't really matter what class you get 2:1 or 2:2 fine, will getting a lower class degree actually effect your job chances?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now