Help me stay well!!

(12 Posts)
ShyGirlie Sun 08-Sep-13 14:02:08

I seem to struggles with constant sickness when teaching, nothing serious thankfully - colds, sore throat, tummy bugs, lost voices etc. its really annoying though as i always feel rotten, struggle on without taking time off.

one week in, and i've got my first cold for this year. sad sad

i teach reception children, so lots of helping at toilet, snotty noses etc. i think i'm pretty good at handwashing. what advice can u give me to stay healthy?!

noblegiraffe Sun 08-Sep-13 14:06:44

Fresh air, good diet, exercise and plenty of sleep.

But as you're a teacher, you'll probably have to settle for vitamins and copious amounts of anti-bac hand gel. wink

BoundandRebound Sun 08-Sep-13 14:09:38

Hand washing, antibacterial in purse and those yogurts that boost your immune system

Mynewmoniker Sun 08-Sep-13 14:10:20

Get your new year illness over and then PLAN 'me' time! If you plan it you will do it AND in the busy, stressful, immune system lowering times you'll have something to look forward to.

Inclusionist Sun 08-Sep-13 18:18:10

Kill the bugs with gin? grin

PenguinBear Mon 09-Sep-13 19:26:18

I was similar when I first started teaching. I would suggest: multi vitamins, probiotic drinks and yogurts (plus the probiotic tablets - I take one with 10 billion good bacteria) from Holland and Barrett, lots of exercise and don't over work! smile

Plus, be careful when touching germy things like handles etc.

barmybunting Mon 09-Sep-13 21:03:45

I found the same thing when I first started. After 3 years of this, I realised I had to do something - I now take vitamin C tablets and echinacea every day and (long may this continue), I haven't had a cold in 9 months. Much of the other yucky feelings have disappeared as well.

vitamin c with zinc. I was getting back to back colds as an NOT until the deputy head looked at me like I was a moron and said 'do you not take zinc?'. Annoyingly, she was right!

Lottiedoubtie Mon 09-Sep-13 21:10:40

Hand washing+ then anti-bac before eating.

Never touch your face/mouth at work.

Prioritise sleep.

Noggie Mon 09-Sep-13 21:14:31

Classroom windows open for fresh air , not too much central heating, ten minutes or more outside at lunch time getting natural light, lots of water, echinacea the minute you feel something brewing , lots of smoothies and healthy meals ,antibacterial hand gel and lots of sleep smile apart from that its just down luckhmm should take my own advice!

Bproud Sat 21-Sep-13 15:59:57

I second Zinc for building up your immune system.

Spider7 Sat 21-Sep-13 16:35:48

Sore throats treatment/prevention. Start the day with a glass of water. Finish with water. During the day drink squash, try to get full fat ie sugar based not artificial flavours. You use a lot of energy during the day, the fluid is good for throat, sugar good for energy boost. After you've had your first glass of water for the day (warm is best) do vocal exercises much like a singer would. You will be using your voice all day, warm it up! Also sucking boiled sweets is good for the throat. This was all told to me by a prof voice coach when I was a trainee. It stood me in good stead. Avoid the peaked lunch sandwich if poss, try for something healthier, pasta?

Sick days are there for a reason. Do use them, not just out of consideration for your own health but also for others! When you ignore your body telling you to slow down you're not well & instead soldier on, you are doing yourself & others no favour at all. Your body will take longer to recover & if you have not rested at all while you may seem to have finally shrugged it off you won't have, meaning that you will quickly succumb to illness again. So take time off. Have one full day of feeling well before returning. You will end up being much healthier & a better teacher as you will have the energy you need.

Cure for sore throat.... REST it, this is your tool of trade, look after it. Throat nodules are caused by ignoring sore throats. They can also lead to cancer. Honey, warm water, lemon(&according to doc dark rum) are brilliant for soothing throat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now