Literacy/ reading group names - ideas?

(12 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Sat 07-Sep-13 21:20:00

I'm lacking inspiration. Need 5 group names - suitable for Y2-4. I'd like them to be reading related. I know I could just pick 5 authors, but I wanted to be more interesting than that! Thanks.

UniS Sat 07-Sep-13 22:11:30

5 fictional cats?
mog, sid, gus, macavity, skimbleshanks,

if twas only 4 I'd be tempted by Hogwarts houses. My 7 yr old would love that.

5 shakepeare characters? why not aim high.
Yorick, Falstaff, Viola, Ariel ,Propero....

5 of something with nowt to do with fiction? where are you? in this county I can think of 6 rivers with only 3 letter names*, or 5 hills... might get some sup to find out where the names are from.

Please be a bit less transparent than my son's teacher who went for shapes, it was bit obvious that the more sides the shape had the higher ability the group was.

*exe, axe, lyd, taw, lyn, sid, yeo if I go up to 4 letters I can use culm, tavy, plym,dart , erne and ken.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Sun 08-Sep-13 03:49:36

Thanks. Great ideas. I like the rivers (same county as you!).

BrigitBigKnickers Sun 08-Sep-13 10:01:26

How about onomatopoeia words? - Bang, Splat, Rumble, Pop, Whizz, Crash, splash etc- they could come up with a list and you could choose from that.

Gem stones?- Ruby, Sapphire, Topaz, Diamond, Emerald.

If you are studying a particular author you could choose character names from the books- e.g. Roald Dahl- Charlie, Matilda, BFG, Twits grin (perhaps not that one!)

Judyandherdreamofhorses Sun 08-Sep-13 10:41:41

Thanks. I'm thinking that they might be a bit overloaded with group names actually. Classes are named after trees, 'houses' after local landmarks, numeracy and literacy groups too. These are my booster groups. Maybe I need a different idea altogether. I want to be able to go I to class and say 'Can I have...please'. Also want to be able to create a group identity.

UniS Sun 08-Sep-13 18:37:33

If its something they have an exercise book for, are you able to give each group a different colour exercise book?

DS is lucky- his school is big & small enough that classes are just called by the year number, none of this fudging about with Tor/ tree/ animal names for classes. Only for numeracy and literacy groups.

everythingsfantastic Wed 11-Sep-13 19:50:18

My groups are reading related. I have got the Authors, Editors, Illustrators, Publishers and Reporters. They have gone down well and the children like using the vocabulary and understanding more about the different roles.

Waswondering Wed 11-Sep-13 19:52:43

Dd's groupings are named after Egyptian things, as that is their class project. They aren't cuddly, at all! Things like cobras, vipers, tigers etc. all chosen by the kids (they are 7). Could they choose their names themselves?

Judyandherdreamofhorses Wed 11-Sep-13 21:08:10

Thanks for suggestions. I decided to just go for colours, so I can go into class and hold up a coloured flag. Works really well and no clashes with other groups in school.

JordanTilbrook Thu 13-Mar-14 03:35:42

In my class, we had a whole heap of different themes for groups, including: Mythical Creatures (griffins centaurs pegasus phoenix centaurs) Gemstones (topaz saphire emerald opal ruby) Maōri Numbers (or any language) (tahi rua toru wha)

Hope these helped!

JordanTilbrook Thu 13-Mar-14 03:37:26

I realized i put centaurs twice! Sorry! The other one was Dragons! blush

LuvMyBoyz Thu 13-Mar-14 03:51:09

I called mine after fast things to represent the boost the classes gave the pupils: Arrows, Bullets, Jets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now