Confessions of a teacher

(73 Posts)
PenguinBear Sat 07-Sep-13 21:10:00

Saw this thread on a teaching forum and thought it might be good for the MN staffroom!!

Anyone want to start? smile

ssd Sat 07-Sep-13 21:11:55

I don't know how you all do it without committing murder on a daily basis (confessions of a mum....)

but I'm glad you do grin

Ohshitnamechange Sat 07-Sep-13 21:16:21

I already have a couple of favourites!

PenguinBear Sat 07-Sep-13 21:26:19

Me too! blush

One of my TAs has a very negative opinion of some of the children as she moved up from the nursery with them and they would not behave for her. rolling around on the floor at carpet time was normal when with her. They have been lovely for me and very well behaved! grin

SuffolkNWhat Sat 07-Sep-13 21:28:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 07-Sep-13 21:33:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2kidsintow Thu 12-Sep-13 22:04:00

I'm enjoying the fact that 2 particular pupils are no longer mine now they've moved up a year - although I do miss the class as a whole.

It's gratifying to hear that they are still up to the same old tricks with their new teacher and that it wasn't just me they acted up for.

HeyMicky Thu 12-Sep-13 22:10:23

Colleagues in nearby rooms (so we could see each other's reactions) would send notes to each other talking about the kid delivering the note. So you'd open up the (sealed) note and it would say "looks like a frog, right?" and then you'd politely thank the student while trying not to snort with laughter at his goggly eyes

AndThatsWhatIThinkOfYou Thu 12-Sep-13 22:16:23

heymicky - that's quite mean

TigerSwallowTail Thu 12-Sep-13 22:20:36

That is horrid heymicky.

EvilTwins Thu 12-Sep-13 22:23:44

I have two favourites. I've taught them for 3 yrs (they're now yr 10 - I've taught them since yr 7) and I am going to be GUTTED when they leave. And they know it.

uneedme Thu 12-Sep-13 22:29:32

Heymicky thats just plain nasty. You don't deserve to be a teacher!

MiaowTheCat Fri 13-Sep-13 08:54:01

We did have one or two particularly "challenging" kids at one time (the sort you'd love but the utter tornado of helpfulness, coupled with their behavioural difficulties, would be hard work at the best of times) where staff on occasions would send them off to go to all the classes with a note saying "Needs to cool off before getting into bother - can you pretend to read this and send them on to the next class saying that you've got that message thanks"... about the only "behind the back" note strategy I've ever seen used - and yes I had one in my own class who got sent running "messages" a few times when I could see he was bubbling for a kick-off.

Other minor confession - I nicked the name of a particularly delightful little girl I met doing supply for my own daughter!

SilverApples Fri 13-Sep-13 09:32:26

HeyMicky, that's vile.
WTF is a 'Social Media Manager' anyway?

slug Fri 13-Sep-13 11:51:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FeegleFion Fri 25-Oct-13 16:06:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LuvMyBoyz Fri 25-Oct-13 19:22:51

You made me laugh, heymicky! When my partner and I worked in the same school we would send each other ridiculous notes with kids and once he rushed into my class, gave me a kiss and ran out again. Kids were shocked...they never realised we were married.

LoopaDaLoopa Fri 25-Oct-13 19:27:25

oh good Lord this really isn't a good look. As a teacher, I think it prudent we don't spout this shit. Please. Casual racism and belittling of children simply isn't OK. Especially from a teacher.

BsshBossh Fri 25-Oct-13 19:32:36

This is turning out to be a horrid thread...

Euphemia Fri 25-Oct-13 19:54:59

Previous colleagues of mine were known to send PITA children to each other to ask for daft things like a tin of tartan paint, just to distract the child from some tension in the classroom which was causing their poor behaviour!

The walk across the school calmed them down, and gave the rest of the class a break!

nomorecrumbs Fri 25-Oct-13 20:00:22

How is that post casual racism? The poster said it was a school with a high % of immigrants from a culture that intermarries frequently. That's not discrimination, that's an observation.

missmapp Fri 25-Oct-13 20:00:52

I LOVE my current class and am thinking of ways of ensuring they never leave ( yr6) . Can I lose their secondary school applications- what do you reckon!! Looking at the current Yr5 , I am sorely tempted.

TwllBach Fri 25-Oct-13 20:25:31

I secretly love it when a small child slips their hand in mine - I love that, in that second, they trust/like me enough to want to.

It makes me sad that, in my school, it is frowned upon.

Euphemia Fri 25-Oct-13 20:28:37

I was a bit frazzled when I heard the umpteenth "Mrs Euphemia?" of the day yesterday, then the wee darling said "Mrs Euphemia? I love you." blush Aaaaaw. smile

BitchyHen Fri 25-Oct-13 20:40:13

I am a TA in a PRU and secretly I worry about my students when I'm not at work. It's been raining all evening and I've been worrying about a couple of students who are likely to be outside. There are a few I would like provide a hot meal, a bath and clean clothes for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now